This handout picture provided by the Italian police (Polizia di Stato) on Aug 14, 2018 shows a collapsed section of a viaduct on the A10 motorway in Genoa.
A bridge has collapsed in Italy's northwestern city of Genoa sending vehicles falling almost 100 metres to the ground and killing at least 35 people, according to local authorities.
The Italian fire service said that the viaduct, located in an industrial area in the west of the city, collapsed at around noon.
Local news reports said the figure could be considerably higher, with Italian news agency ANSA quoting emergency officials as saying "tens" of people were killed.
A Genoa resident described a sound like thunder when the bridge collapsed.
A general view of the Morandi bridge which collapsed on August 14, 2018, in Genoa, Italy.
The collapse was along a highway that connects Italy to France, and because it came one day before the Italian holiday Ferragosto, it's likely the roadway was busier than usual as travelers made their way to the mountains.
The bridge connected two major highways between Italy and France.
"It's not acceptable that such an important bridge. was not built to avoid this kind of collapse", Mr. Rixi said on SkyNews24, speaking from Genoa.
"I'm following with the utmost apprehension what is happening in Genoa and what looks like it could be an vast tragedy", Danilo Toninelli said on Twitter. The longest portion in between supports is about 200 meters. As per latest reports, the death toll can significantly increase as the authorities continue to carry out search and rescue operations at the incident site.
Italy's civil protection agency head Angelo Borrelli told Ansa that 30 to 35 cars and three trucks were on the structure when it collapsed.
The Italian transport official now says 22 people are dead, 8 are injured after a highway bridge collapsed in Italy.
The office of Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said he was heading to Genoa in the evening and would remain there on Wednesday. A tanker truck carrying a highly flammable gas exploded after rear-ending a stopped truck and getting hit from behind.
- Turkey 'implores' Trump to return to table on tariffs
- Taliban cling to pockets of Afghan city after assault
- Red alert sounded in 12 districts
- Last-minute technical problem delays NASA's flight to sun
- Halep topples Garcia to reach semi-finals of Rogers Cup
- Man arrested following crash into security barriers at Houses of Parliament
- Turkey’s lira steadies amid Erdogan’s move to boycott U.S. electronic products
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Trump To Soldiers: It's A New Day For The US Military
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest