According to Nikkei Asian Review, Google will launch a smart speaker with a display by the end of 2018, and likely before the holiday shopping season begins. Unfortunately, Amazon's head start in the United Kingdom market, with the Echo speaker launching in September 2016, half a year before the Google Home, seems to be too much for Google to contend with.
Google is on the cusp of launching a new Assistant powered Smart display.
Amazon is leading the way in smart speakers by a huge margin over Google. The introduction of the smart display platform by Google was in January when they invested in the third parties. The Android developer's AI speaker lineup now features the standard Google Home, the cost-effective Home Mini and the high-end Home Max.
The smart speaker market grew from 3.9 million in Q2 2017 to 11.7 million in Q2 2018.
"Many players, including Amazon, are integrating smart speakers into verticals, such as hotels, retail, hospitals, and other business establishments", said Jason Low, senior analyst at Canalys.
Amazon Echo Show and Echo Spot were among the first such devices, with others such as JBL Link View and LG ThinQ WK9 demonstrating their capabilities at CES 2018. "Although the real level of user demand for speaker products is now unproven, China is on its way to overtake the USA in the near term". According to Nikkei, the device could be manufactured by Taiwanese company Pegatron who have previously manufactured devices for Google owned Nest. This whole huge step of Google planning to make smart displays is because of the Echo Show. However, the tech giant is yet to launch its own smart speaker with a screen, but it looks to change that this year.
Right now, we don't have any pricing information or availability dates, but we can guess the Smart Display will be introduced this October along with the new Pixel 3, Pixel Watch, and updated Pixelbook.
- Berat Albayrak: Turkey to emerge 'stronger' from currency crisis
- Qatar pledges $15 billion of investment in Turkey
- Tributes flow for 'rare treasure' Aretha Franklin who died at 76
- Man City MF De Bruyne injured in training
- Donald Trump pays tribute to Aretha Franklin
- Australian MPs condemn Fraser Anning for 'final solution' Muslim ban speech
- Aretha Franklin, Queen Of Soul, Dies At 76
- Elon Musk: This Has Been The Most Painful Year Of My Career
- Fox News apologizes for using Patti LaBelle’s photo in Aretha Franklin tribute
- Arsenal goalkeeper brutally trolled by Bundesliga club