So, Franklin announced on stage that she simply wouldn't sing.
Consequently, Aretha's musical innovation - soul music - opened the door to gospel-trained singers across America.
Center spokesperson Vince Paul says discussions about the name change had been underway with Aretha herself before she died. But while Sam Cooke and Ray Charles made the jump before her, "When Aretha's vocals got unleashed, they believed that God was everywhere". Guesting on the program alongside Liza Minelli and Woody Allen, Franklin performs her hit "Respect". "But, you know, another similarity to that is the song that I wrote, 'Until You Come Back to Me.' ..."
"It was an honor to have met her and we are going to celebrate her, " Grande said.
The chorus of social media tributes included a message from NASA, noting the space agency was saddened by the soul legend's death and that asteroid 249516 Aretha, discovered in 2010 and named to commemorate the singer, would keep orbiting beyond Mars. In this encore presentation, Urban One founder Cathy Hughes talks with the Queen of Soul about her life and journey throughout her fantastic career.
"Just knowing her from a baby until now", Siggers said, "she's been the same".
Thankfully, Questlove was able to persuade Grande to sing, and she delivered the moving performance. Talk about queens-she was definitely the queen. "She touched every genre". Though she left the city to pursue her career in NY and Los Angeles, she returned to the city in 1982 to be closer to her family. In her own tribute to Franklin, LaBelle called the late singer her "sister in song".
He said on Friday that he wanted the public to remember her not only as an artist, but also as an activist and an important figure in the African-American community.
For the most part, it was a nice gesture however there was one line that many people just couldn't overlook and that was when Trump said, "she worked for me on numerous occasions". Franklin was 76 years old.
"People think of her often as an iconic singer, an iconic performer, but they don't necessarily remember that she was a mother and a wife and someone's lover", he said.
- Man City MF De Bruyne injured in training
- Jalen Ramsey Critical Of Josh Allen, Matt Ryan
- Husband arrested in connection with missing pregnant wife, 2 daughters in Colorado
- JUST IN: Barcelona make final decision on Paul Pogba
- Sarah Sanders' Claim About Obama's Black Job Creation Was Way Off
- Australian MPs condemn Fraser Anning for 'final solution' Muslim ban speech
- Qatar pledges $15 billion of investment in Turkey
- White House condemns Turkey's tariffs on U.S. imports
- No verdict as Manafort jury breaks for weekend
- James Clapper: Trump revoking our security clearances would be 'very, very petty'