According to the Reuters news agency, the 80-year-old was admitted to a hospital in the Swiss capital of Bern where he died.
According to Cayetano, Filipinos will remember the first UN secretary-general from sub-Saharan Africa for his initiatives like the UN Global Compact, Millennium Summit, Global Fund, and UN reform "that helped shape today's worldwide environment". "He remained someone I could always turn to for counsel and wisdom - and I know I was not alone", Mr. Guterres said in a statement. In these turbulent and trying times, he never stopped working to give life to the values of the United Nations Charter. "And, "... Was a guiding force for good".
The NewsHour's Jeffrey Brown talked with Annan about the United Nation's role in 2012 after the publication of the former secretary-general's memoir.
Annan was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize jointly with the United Nations in 2001 "for their work for a better organized and more peaceful world".
Mr Annan served as secretary-general during the Iraq War and the HIV/Aids pandemic.
When he departed from the United Nations, he left behind a global organisation far more aggressively engaged in peacekeeping and fighting poverty, setting the framework for the UN's 21st-century response to mass atrocities and its emphasis on human rights and development.
Annan was born in Kumasi, Annan went on to study economics at Macalester College, worldwide relations from the Graduate Institute Geneva and management at MIT.
Describing him as "a close friend, a counsellor and comrade in arms in the fight for better governance and rule of law in Africa", Mo Ibrahim touted Mr. Annan's contributions to maintaining peace, democracy and development in Africa and the world at large.
His death was confirmed by his family who said he passed away presence in the presence of his wife Nne, and their children Ama, Kojo and Nina.
It added: 'Wherever there was suffering or need, he reached out and touched many people with his deep compassion and empathy.
UN Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, took to twitter to express sadness about Annan's death.
- Vatican rebukes reported sexual abuse by Pennsylvania priests
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- India seize control after spectacular England batting collapse
- Trump Says He'll Yank Bruce Ohr's Security Clearance 'Very Quickly'
- Australian MPs condemn Fraser Anning for 'final solution' Muslim ban speech
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- Rescue teams continue search for Italy bridge collapse survivors
- Liverpool must get better to mount Premier League title challenge, warns Klopp
- Smart money points to Trump charge
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester