He explained that the Aug 7 tweet claiming assurance that funding for going private was secured was an attempt to be transparent, even though it provoked questions from analysts about whether it violated stock market regulations. He said he was working a 120-hour week to reach the company's production targets, and admitted: "It is often a choice of no sleep or Ambien".
Musk said he has found 2018 "excruciating". Efforts are under way to find a No. 2 executive to help take some of the pressure off Musk, people briefed on the search said.
That boosted share prices to almost $380, but also spurred questions about Musk's Twitter comment that the funding for the maneuver had been "secured".
Meanwhile, Tesla fell 1.1pc to $332.72 at 10:49am on Frankfurt's Tradegate.
As Tesla struggled to meet production goals for its Model 3 earlier this year, Musk ended up sleeping at the factory. They can force Musk to step down, take a leave of absence, or delegate some responsibilities to other executives. Some friends had also approached him with concerns about his well-being, the New York Times said.
First there was the obnoxious lecturing of reporters on a Tesla conference call.
As the Securities and Exchange Commission reportedly launches an investigation into Tesla chief Elon Musk's recent Twitter post, the executive has acknowledged having a awful year in terms of mental stress.
The step, which had been widely-covered by global media, was expected to evoke even more troubles for the electric vehicles manufacturer if it became clear that Musk meant to temporarily boost the company's stock to force losses on short sellers.
Musk's tweet came two weeks after Tesla revealed it had burned through $739.5 million in cash on its way to a record $717.5 million net loss in the second quarter, as it cranked out more electric cars.
April 2017: Mr Musk talks to SoftBank's Masayoshi Son about investing.
Musk says he left a meeting with wealth fund officials July 31 with no question that the deal could be closed.
Musk exposed himself to legal risk by tweeting August 7 that he had the funding for a buyout.
That tweet, and shrill attacks on Tesla's critics, may indicate the need for someone else to take the company's reins.
But the paper said he later told them through a spokesperson that Antonio Gracias, Tesla's lead independent director, had in fact contacted him to discuss the Twitter post.
- Kofi Annan, former U.N. secretary-general, dead at 80
- Turkey refuses to release pastor despite threat of USA sanctions
- Manchester City documentary was not disrespectful - Pep Guardiola
- Tyson Fury vows to knock out Deontay Wilder in Las Vegas bout
- Jose Mourinho: Former England striker Ian Wright fears for Man Utd boss
- Fox News apologizes for using Patti LaBelle’s photo in Aretha Franklin tribute
- United States plans more sanctions against Turkey if pastor not released
- Trump Says He'll Yank Bruce Ohr's Security Clearance 'Very Quickly'
- Google workers protest against secret China search engine 'Dragonfly'
- Nvidia's RTX 2080, RTX 2080 Ti Cards Arrive Sept. 20