The only mention of Franklin was that Madonna sang '(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman' to - ultimately unsuccessfully - audition for a song.
Not only did Madonna look like a gypsy priest, she told a lackluster story about the time she wanted to sing Respect and the pianist looked at her like a "some skinny-ass white girl".
Madonna says her tribute to Aretha Franklin wasn't a tribute to Aretha Franklin.
Madonna is facing backlash online after her tribute to Aretha Franklin at the VMAs on Monday night was criticized for being more about herself than Franklin, whose death last week stunned the world. Thank GOD Aretha Franklin existed, because if she didn't, we wouldn't have Madonna! There's a connection, because none of this would've happened-could've happened-without our lady of soul. "I had no training or dreams ever ever becoming a singer, but I went for it". At one point, Madonna had to stop and comment: "So, you are probably all wondering why I am telling you this story". A cappella? I said, "B-, I'm Madonna". She led me to where I am today...
"And I was going to get all these movies and I was just so happy". MTV was mum with the details, but Madonna dropped some hints on social media that she would be handling the Queen of Soul's memorial. She added, "Unfortunately most people have short attention spans, and are so quick to judge".
"I shared a part of my journey and thanked Aretha for inspiring me along the way", she wrote. "The rest is history". "She shouldn't be Aretha adjacent", political and cultural commentator Marc Lamont Hill wrote on Twitter.
And fans on Twitter are accusing Madge of extreme dis-r-e-s-p-e-c-t.
The outlet notes how surprising the singer's lack of a will is considering she has a special needs son named Clarence, who will need financial and other forms of support for his entire life. She stood up in front of millions while wearing traditional Moroccan/Amazigh attire, perpetuating the controversy and inviting accusations of cultural appropriation, as The Hollywood Reporter points out.
- Peter Dutton resigns ministry after leadership loss to Malcolm Turnbull
- Walker: De Bruyne injury a blow - but we'll cope
- Italy’s Autostrade to announce plan for victims, city after bridge collapse
- Australian PM Malcolm Turnbull survives leadership vote, but threat still remains
- Nick Jonas & Priyanka Chopra Announce Their Marriage Engagement
- Trump says his White House lawyer isn’t a ‘RAT’ like Nixon’s
- Manchester City documentary was not disrespectful - Pep Guardiola
- United States plans more sanctions against Turkey if pastor not released
- Google workers protest against secret China search engine 'Dragonfly'
- Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra celebrate engagement with traditional Indian ceremony