Can't connect right now!
A strong natural disaster cut power across the Indonesian island of Lombok, toppled buildings and killed at least two people as the tourist hotspot was trying to recover from a temblor earlier this month that killed hundreds of people. Its power approaches the strongest deep-focus (over 300km deep) quake on record, the magnitude 8.3 Okhotsk Sea quake of 2013.
It was followed almost 12 hours later by a quake measuring 6.9 magnitude and a string of powerful aftershocks.
A 6.9-magnitude quake has hit the Indonesian island of Lombok - hours after a 6.3 tremor struck the tourist destination.
Almost 100 houses near the epicentre were also severely damaged, the disaster agency said.
"So far five people died and scores of people are injured".
Officials have evacuated a number of patients from a hospital in Sumbawa island for fear of worse destruction.
The national disaster agency said it was gathering information.
A sleeping local resident said the powerful tremor jolted him awake.
"The quake was incredibly strong". They all ran to the street, ' East Lombok resident Augus Salim told AFP.
"We were all sleeping in an evacuation tent".
"I was driving to deliver aid to evacuees when suddenly the electricity pole was swaying".
'People started to scream and cry.
Another said "very afraid" while mulitiple individuals said the quake lasted for a "long time".
"This area includes the Gili Islands (Gili Trawangan, Gili Meno and Gili Air) and the Mount Rinjani National Park, but excludes Senggigi on the west coast and Kayangan port on the east coast".
Graham told the Herald he was on a small Tongan island off Nuku'alofa when the ground began to shake.
No deaths were immediately reported following Sunday's quake, the third strong natural disaster to rock the island during the past month.
- This weird moment from Virgil van Dijk against Crystal Palace is hilarious
- Decades on, former Nazi camp guard deported to Germany from US
- Kofi Annan, former U.N. secretary-general, dead at 80
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- Post Malone plane makes emergency landing after tires blow during takeoff
- Nicki Minaj Compared Herself To Harriet Tubman And Twitter Users Are Pissed
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Hundreds of South Koreans Head North to Reunite With Their Loved Ones
- Top smartphones for gaming