As Jack Wilshere made his Emirates Stadium return, Mesut Ozil was missing from the Arsenal squad - officially through illness but with some reports suggesting he was dropped after a fall-out with Emery.
In stark contrast to Emery, new Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri could become just the sixth foreign manager in the last 10 years to start with three wins, joining former Blues chiefs Antonio Conte and Carlo Ancelotti on the list.
"I'm actually really lucky to be a really good athlete naturally so I still feel mobile, I still feel strong, I'm improving and I'm learning so much more about the game", said Kompany, whose current contract expires at the end of the season.
"Today he was here", Emery added.
"I am sure [Wilshere will recover his best form] because he is just 26 years old, because he knows better how he must manage his physical work, so as not to be injured".
In effect, what this means is that the manager is hamstrung before he starts his tenure in earnest, working with players whom he wouldn't have chosen but now has to somehow shoe-horn into his preferred formation. "Ask the doctor, the doctor can explain better".
Manuel Pellegrini's men now travel to the Emirates Stadium to face Arsenal, who have also lost two from two, albeit against champions Manchester City on the opening day, as well as Chelsea last week. Emery admitted it wouldn't be easy but agrees the fans need to see some improvement as well as the points.
"We to improve tactical things and earn the confidence for the players after two defeats".
"There are a lot of reasons why, in this minute, we are trying to find the best starting XI to win the game". I think the team played well and I think we were a team that defended well. For the second half we were speaking in the dressing room (of the need) to help more inside with two midfielders.
Fabianski kept out Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's low drive and a superb long-range Ramsey effort while West Ham's late rally failed to produce an equaliser as Welbeck scored a simple goal to seal the three points for Arsenal.
- Strong quake jolts Indonesian island of Lombok
- Sing for your life: Woman treads 10 hours after ship fall
- New York State Subpoenas Michael Cohen in Trump Foundation Probe
- Pochettino Without 3 Players For Man Utd Trip
- Immigrant charged with murder in death of missing Iowa woman
- Manafort juror says "one holdout" kept jury from convicting on all counts
- Ohio State head football coach Urban Meyer suspended for 3 games
- Hawaii Braces For Hurricane Lane, Now A Category 5
- Leon Balogun surprised by Manchester United’s ‘slow’ football tactics
- There’s No Safe Level of Alcohol Consumption, According to New Study