Pompeo talks N.Korea 'next steps' with Seoul, Tokyo

Tuesday, 28 Aug, 2018

North Korea has taken steps, including halting nuclear and missile tests, blowing up its main nuclear testing facility and returning what it says are the remains of USA servicemembers killed in the war.

North Korea's state newspaper Rodong Sinmun has accused the U.S. of "double-dealing" after an announced visit by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was canceled on the orders of President Trump on Friday. "We are seriously concerned about this", foreign ministry spokesman Lu Kang said in a statement posted on the ministry website.

It also said it is "seriously concerned about it" and has made "solemn representations to the US side".

China's foreign ministry issued a statement denying that China was not working with North Korea toward denuclearization as was promised to President Trump.

North Korean state-run media on Sunday slammed the USA for "double-dealing" by allegedly conducting what it said were "secret drills involving man-killing special units", a charge that came just a day after a trip to Pyongyang by the top US diplomat was canceled.

South Korean Minister of Foreign Affairs Kang Kyung-hwa spoke with Pompeo by telephone and agreed that the allies should work to keep the atmosphere of dialogue alive, it said. He's well aware of past failures by previous administrations and I certainly don't consider him to be naive about potential success with the insane little North Korean dictator in power.

North Korea's state-controlled newspaper has accused the USA of plotting to infiltrate Pyongyang, North Korea.

Trump hailed the summit in Singapore as a success and even went as far as to declare the nuclear threat from North Korea over, but Pyongyang has given no indication it is willing abandon its arsenal unilaterally. Trump "overplayed the gains" from his Singapore summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and needed someone else to blame, Lee said.

South Korea's Cho Jeong-gi, 67, met his 88-year-old father for the first time, as the latter had moved to the North before Cho's birth.

"It does not give any economic gain to North Korea, so we are concluding that it does not damage the objective of the sanctions". "He is trying to punish China on trade".

Trump himself was still open to another meeting with Kim, in hopes of advancing the process, but was not pleased with the latest signals from North Korea, a White House official said.

The planned trip had been announced the previous day for this week and Pompeo had meant to introduce a newly named special envoy, Stephen Biegun, to his North Korean counterparts. "North Korea is aware that the list reveals all their cards to the USA, and they won't do so without any tangible promise from Washington".

Some steps have been made towards peace after a summit between Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un.

South Korean President Moon Jae-in also has been preparing for a third summit with Kim since their landmark first meeting on April 27.

"I see China's hands all over this".