Archbishop Viganò, 77, who represented the Vatican in Washington from 2011 to 2016, published a letter in which he said removing the sanctions let Mr McCarrick, who served as archbishop of Washington from 2001 to 2006, travel and give lectures.
Throughout the 11-page testimony, which was translated by a Lifesite News correspondent, the former nuncio made several claims and accusations against prominent church officials, alleging they belong to "a homosexual current" that subverted church teaching on homosexuality.
Francis was asked by a USA reporter during an airborne press conference Sunday if Vigano's claims that the two discussed the McCarrick allegations in 2013 were true.
At another "Nope to the Pope" demonstration, protesters called for gay and transgender recognition, a clearer separation of religion and state in Ireland and the acceptance of contraception by the Vatican, as well as action on abuse.
Pope Francis said on Sunday he would not respond to explosive accusations by a former top Vatican official that the pontiff had covered up sexual abuse, saying dismissively that the document containing the allegations "speaks for itself".
McCarrick, 88, who once led the Archdiocese of Washington and was a force in American politics, resigned last month after a decades-old allegation of sexual abuse of a teenage altar boy.
Vigano, who was posted to the USA from 2011 to 2016, said his two predecessors had told the Holy See about the claims against McCarrick and that Vigano himself sent at least two memos. "He corrupted generations of seminarians and priests and Pope Benedict ordered him to withdraw to a life of prayer and penance".
Archbishop Vigano said the measures were purportedly put in place "years" after his predecessors Archbishops Gabriel Montalvo and Pietro Sambi "immediately" informed the Holy See in 2000 when they learned of Archbishop McCarrick's "gravely immoral behaviour with seminarians and priests".
"A new episode of internal opposition", the Vatican newspaper l'Osservatore Romano said Monday of Vigano's allegations. Wuerl has said he did not know of them.
He has been accused of sexually abusing children since the church's sex abuse scandal broke in 2002, following which the Vatican has asked the retired archbishop of Washington, D.C.to cease public ministry. In the past, there have been allegations that he engaged in sexual behavior with adults. "The boys are still living in tents", McCarrick said as young Haitian seminarians were shown milling about.
Edward McFadden, spokesperson for archdiocese of Washington, disputed the notion that Wuerl ignored allegations about McCarrick.
In a Facebook post Sunday evening, Bishop David Konderla of Tulsa said an investigation into sexual abuse and cover-up was necessary to "restore holiness and accountability to the leadership of the Church" and that Archbishop Viganò's statement is "a good place to begin the investigations".
Vigano, however, also has had his own problems with allegations of cover-up, and he and Francis had a major dust-up during Francis' 2015 visit to the US, which Vigano organized.
Nienstedt was forced to resign in 2015 over complaints about his handling of sex abuse cases.
Pope Francis used the penitential rite of the Mass to list a litany of different types of abuse and mistreatment inflicted on Irish people by Church figures, and the cover-ups of sex crimes.
The document claimed the pope's exhortation caused "ever increasing confusion among the faithful" and stated that the admission of divorced and civilly remarried Catholics is "a discipline alien to the entire tradition of the Catholic and apostolic faith".
- Cohen's lawyer walks back claim Trump knew of Russia meeting
- Florida authorities: Multiple dead during mall shooting
- John Aldridge: Jose Mourinho is poisonous for Manchester United
- Trump announces 'really good' NAFTA deal with Mexico
- Hurricane Lane delays Pride of America turnaround in Honolulu
- Five things to look for as Chelsea visits Newcastle: Fringe player questions
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Sessions Hits Back At Trump On ‘Control’ Of Department Of Justice
- Federico Fernandez is praised by Newcastle fans after Chelsea loss
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester