The president used a tweet the make the announcement, which comes amid Special Counsel Robert Mueller's ongoing investigation into Russian election meddling and possible illegal coordination with Trump's 2016 presidential campaign.
His dismissal comes less than two weeks after it was revealed Mr McGahn spoke for more than 30 hours to the special counsel investigating the Trump campaign's ties to Russian Federation.
Unlike some less-amiable administration separations, Trump praised McGahn on Twitter, saying that he had "worked with Don for a long time and truly appreciate his service!"
The announcement drew attention from Iowa Republican Sen.
But McGahn's tenure has also been lauded by Republicans for his role in coordinating the administration's efforts to appoint conservative judges to federal benches across the country, including the president's first Supreme Court justice appointment of Neil Gorsuch.
But the Times said McGahn's cooperation arose in part from a feeling that he needed to protect himself, and speculation quickly mounted about whether McGahn's testimony could harm the president. "It is no surprise to read that he has gained the president's confidence already", Coffin said.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell hailed McGahn as the "most impressive White House Counsel during my time in Washington".
Rep. Adam Schiff of California, the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, said Wednesday that White House Counsel Don McGahn's resignation shows the White House is "in full attack mode on the special counsel".
McGahn and many high-level White House officials were caught off guard by Trump's tweet, which followed a report by Axios earlier in the day that McGahn was preparing to leave.
His reaction was, "Of course it happened this way", one person said. He provided the investigators examining whether Mr. Trump obstructed justice a clear view of the president's most intimate moments with his lawyer. But the Federal Bureau of Investigation said it sent a partial report of "derogatory information" on Porter to McGahn in March 2017.
- Most active Western Conference teams this offseason
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- Rodney Marsh and Karl Henry react to Wolves display against Manchester City
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Trump slams Democratic primary victor as a 'failed Socialist Mayor'
- Final farewells to Sen. John McCain begin at Arizona Capitol
- Serena Williams wears tutu at US Open amid catsuit controversy
- In Arizona Senate race, Republican Martha McSally’s embrace of Trump carries risks
- Buhari’s speech as Nigeria, Britain sign agreements on security, economic development