All the while, Franklin laid in a casket made of solid bronze and embroidered with her name and "Queen of Soul" title, according to the Detroit Free Press. Most mourners came dressed in church clothes and carrying folding chairs.
She was wearing a full-length gold dress, the final of four outfits she was changed into throughout the week's public viewings.
Celebrities including Elton John, Diana Ross, Mariah Carey, and Jimmy Fallon sent messages and flower arrangements to Franklin's funeral.
Among those honoring Franklin Friday are about two dozen owners of Pink Cadillacs who arrived at the church early Friday.
"What a truly memorable day", Davis said.
"After all she gave to the world, I felt we needed to give her an appropriate send-off that would match her legacy", Owens said. "She worked for me on numerous occasions".
Jesse Jackson, former President Bill Clinton, and Al Sharpton are among the many who will be in attendance during Friday's service.
She had performed in 1988 at the since-closed Trump Castle casino in Atlantic City, N.J., which Trump referenced in remarks after her passing.
Actor Glynn Turman, who was married to Franklin from 1978 to 1984, recently told the show "Good Morning Britain" that one of his favorite memories of her occurred in England.
Former US President Bill Clinton speaks during Aretha Franklin's funeral.
While Twitter users think the icon looked obvious and unprepared, others are commending her for the clever idea (if she did have ulterior motives with her statement accessory).
Franklin died of advanced pancreatic cancer of the neuroendocrine type on August 16.
"There are some girls who haven't been born yet ... who will be inspired by Aretha", he said. "We are both blessed enough to be working all the time".
Clinton said that Franklin appeared to be very ill, but that she still spent 45 minutes singing in front of the crowd in West Harlem.
He said, however, that it was a shame that the lines to mourn famous people are long, but lines to vote are so short, lamenting that Trump won MI by so few votes. "I'm sad today, because I'm losing my friend, but I know the imprint she left on this world can never be removed".
- The Google Pixel 3 event date reportedly just leaked
- 'Rooted in the black church': Aretha Franklin's funeral returns to gospel
- Elon Musk Revives Thailand Diver "Pedo" Controversy With New Tweets
- Florida Dem Gubernatorial Candidate Supports Abolishing ICE, Medicare for All
- Approval of Trans Mountain pipeline expansion quashed by Federal Court of Appeal
- Apple Watch Series 4 Leaks Ahead of Launch
- US Open: Serena and Venus Williams take step towards third-round clash
- Trump slams Democratic primary victor as a 'failed Socialist Mayor'
- Brief Intel Unveils New Eighth-Generation Processors
- Buhari’s speech as Nigeria, Britain sign agreements on security, economic development