After South Korea had beaten Japan 2-1 in extra time to win the Asian Games final, Son Heung-min could breathe a sigh of relief knowing that his gold medal had ensured he wouldn't be called up for military service.
Fearing a prolonged period with the military, the forward made himself available for the South Korean u23 squad competing at this year's Asian Games.
Under the country's law, all able-bodied men between the ages of 18 and 35 are required to perform at least 21 months of military service.
The exception are those that win Olympic medals, or Asian Games gold medals. Also, as ESPN points out, medaling at the Olympics earns an exemption.
They beat China 29-23 and looked firmly in control throughout the game.
The 26-year-old featured in South Korea's 2-1 extra time victory on Saturday night as goals from Lee Seungwoo and Hwang Heechan saw them lift the trophy.
Son nearly got the winning goal himself, but his shot just seconds into extra time sailed inches wide of the far post. It has been a tough time here but we pulled together and the team spirit was special. "I'll continue to work hard for Tottenham when I return".
Of course, the electrifying winger didn't forget about Tottenham. And he knows it.
"I feel great, feel unbelievable, feel wonderful", he said.
I want you to give him a life time contract the second he's back.
"They have supported me so much and that means a lot to me". They are so special'. Now I am looking forward to getting back to England and showing what I can do'.
Son has proven to be a key man for Spurs under Pochettino and the Argentine will be hoping to welcome him back as a tournament victor soon. Plus after this weekend's fixtures, everyone gets an global break.
But whether it's gold or silver, the medal will go down in the history books as it will be the first medal won by a unified Korean team in ball sports at an worldwide multi-sports competition.
- 'Rooted in the black church': Aretha Franklin's funeral returns to gospel
- England's Bairstow to play with fractured finger in fourth test against India
- Apple Watch Series 4 Leaks Ahead of Launch
- IPhone XS and its bigger sibling get pictured in leaked renders
- Brief Intel Unveils New Eighth-Generation Processors
- US President Donald Trump to visit Ireland in November
- Apple's new OLED iPhones will feature speed and camera improvements
- Joe Biden: 'I'm a Democrat and I love John McCain'
- Can Djokovic Continue His Strong Comeback At the US Open?
- IMF supports South African land reform provided it's 'rules based' - Economy