The U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami says the tropical storm is centered about 700 miles (1,125 kilometers) west-northwest of the southernmost Cabo Verde Islands. Tropical Storm Warnings are now in effect for coastal communities in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.
The latest track from the National Hurricane Center continues this movement, and tracks Gordon generally towards New Orleans.
A second tropical storm formed in the Atlantic basin Monday, but neither Florence or Gordon appears to be a threat to Southeastern North Carolina at this time.
At this point the forecast has Florence staying out to sea, not impacting the Caribbean or the continental United States. A storm surge warning has been issued for the area stretching from Shell Beach, Louisiana, to Dauphin Island, Alabama.
Gordon is already lashing south Florida with rain and tropical-storm-force winds.
Showers and thunderstorms are already ongoing in Louisiana, Texas, and MS with flash flood watches in place.
But there are no coastal watches or warnings in effect and its top wind speed has slowed.
As of Sunday morning, the National Hurricane Center gave the system a 50 percent chance of developing into a tropical system early next week, with a projected track toward the eastern Gulf Coast from the Florida Panhandle to Texas.
The warning is related to potential Tropical Cyclone 7 which, if it organizes into a tropical storm, will become Tropical Storm Gordon. Maximum sustained winds were clocked at 50 miles per hour. The storm system will reach reach the central Gulf Coast by late Tuesday night and move inland over the lower Mississippi Valley on Wednesday. Gordon is expected to produce rain accumulations of 4 to 6 inches over southern Alabama, southern MS and Louisiana, with some isolated areas receiving up to 8 inches, through early Thursday.
In addition, "a couple of tornadoes are possible through tonight across the southern and west-central Florida Peninsula", said the NHC. The deluge could cause flash floodings in some areas.
- US Open: Serena and Venus Williams take step towards third-round clash
- Ronaldo's Juventus drawn with Man United in Champions League
- Rockets move Ryan Anderson to Suns in four-player trade
- US President Donald Trump to visit Ireland in November
- Huge leak shows off the new iPhone XS
- What is special about the new processor Huawei Kirin 980
- Jeff Sessions safe as Attorney General until midterms, Donald Trump says
- Sheriffs Office and Bail Bondsman respond to California Money Bail Reform Act
- Modric is player of the year over Ronaldo, Salah
- Florida Dem Gubernatorial Candidate Supports Abolishing ICE, Medicare for All