The U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami says the tropical storm is centered about 700 miles (1,125 kilometers) west-northwest of the southernmost Cabo Verde Islands. Tropical Storm Warnings are now in effect for coastal communities in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.
The latest track from the National Hurricane Center continues this movement, and tracks Gordon generally towards New Orleans.
A second tropical storm formed in the Atlantic basin Monday, but neither Florence or Gordon appears to be a threat to Southeastern North Carolina at this time.
At this point the forecast has Florence staying out to sea, not impacting the Caribbean or the continental United States. A storm surge warning has been issued for the area stretching from Shell Beach, Louisiana, to Dauphin Island, Alabama.
Gordon is already lashing south Florida with rain and tropical-storm-force winds.
Showers and thunderstorms are already ongoing in Louisiana, Texas, and MS with flash flood watches in place.
But there are no coastal watches or warnings in effect and its top wind speed has slowed.
As of Sunday morning, the National Hurricane Center gave the system a 50 percent chance of developing into a tropical system early next week, with a projected track toward the eastern Gulf Coast from the Florida Panhandle to Texas.
The warning is related to potential Tropical Cyclone 7 which, if it organizes into a tropical storm, will become Tropical Storm Gordon. Maximum sustained winds were clocked at 50 miles per hour. The storm system will reach reach the central Gulf Coast by late Tuesday night and move inland over the lower Mississippi Valley on Wednesday. Gordon is expected to produce rain accumulations of 4 to 6 inches over southern Alabama, southern MS and Louisiana, with some isolated areas receiving up to 8 inches, through early Thursday.
In addition, "a couple of tornadoes are possible through tonight across the southern and west-central Florida Peninsula", said the NHC. The deluge could cause flash floodings in some areas.
- New Pixel 3 leak tells us Google is really serious about selfies
- Pique commented on the possible transition Pogba to Barcelona
- Taos DA, under fire, defends handling of compound cases
- Late Alexandre Lacazette strike gives Arsenal narrow Cardiff City win
- What we know about Vodafone-TPG's $15bn merger
- Watch the livestream of Aretha Franklin's funeral celebration
- California Lawmakers Pass Net Neutrality Bill
- Ronaldo's Juventus drawn with Man United in Champions League
- Samsung, LG Showcase Their First Commercial 8K TVs at IFA 2018
- Joe Biden: 'I'm a Democrat and I love John McCain'