About halfway through, he says, "Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything", an apparent reference to his career as quarterback for the 49ers, which ended past year following his controversial decision to kneel while the national anthem was sung to protest injustice. Others praised Nike for its gutsy ad campaign.
Kaepernick is only shown twice in the ad, once in the middle and in the closing seconds. "I stand for anybody that believes in a positive attitude", LeBron James said in support. But the company has seen social media backlash since the Kaepernick announcement, with the hashtags #BoycottNike and #JustBurnIt trending on Twitter, Bloomberg reports.
The NFL and Nike recently extended their partnership through 2028.
Peep the video below. The NFL saw a dip in its ratings and mass protests due to its mishandling of national anthem protests last season. Ever since the iconic company revealed the polarizing former quarterback as the center of its new marketing campaign, everyone has seemingly taken a stance on the issue. Whether they protest it, which is a peaceful protest actually, or not, that it's the choice of being American.
Kaepernick ignited a controversial protest movement when he started kneeling during the National Anthem before football games in 2016. "If your plan is to destroy them contact the Hillsborough Police Department and we will get them to someone who could use them". On Monday, an NFL-appointed arbitrator ruled that Kaepernick had enough evidence to proceed with a legal case against the league.
- Typhoon Jebi hits Japan
- Rachelle Ann Go performs with 'Hamilton' cast for Prince Harry, Meghan Markle
- Marco Rubio to InfoWars' Alex Jones, 'Don't touch me again, man'
- Tyler Perry offers 'Cosby Show' actor a job after public shaming
- Trump has warned Iran and Russia about a possible mistake in Syria
- Explaining Ireland's Nations League chances in simplest possible way
- Nadal survives Russian threat to advance at US Open
- Florida Child Killed After Tropical Storm Gordon Strikes Land
- Luke Shaw speaks out on troubled relationship with Jose Mourinho
- Carr: Raiders players over shock of Mack trade