Three passengers and seven crew members were hospitalized for testing, nine others who reported feeling ill refused treatment.
"The Emirates cabin crew were super helpful, they were not in panic mode, which was wonderful", Makki, a 36-year-old television host from Dubai, said outside the airport.
The plane wasn't quarantined, according to the report.
Benjamin Haynes, a spokesperson for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, confirmed to TIME that the CDC was involved in evaluating passengers. "None of the passengers are severely ill, and they will be released and informed of test results in 24 hours", Haynes said.
Ambulances on standby as a precaution
"Early indications point to that as a possibility", tweeted Eric Phillips.
The Airbus A380 arrived shortly after 9am ET this morning, carrying 521 passengers, according to the New York City mayor's office.
The airline reportedly told USA authorities that food poisoning is likely to blame for the incident.
His pictures showed people having their temperatures taken with a laser device as they disembarked, and a police officer wearing a mask.
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said that initially about 100 people including some crew had complained of illness.
Emirates Airline did not immediately respond to Ars' request for comment or updates.
Initial reports from NBC New York said up to 100 passengers said they felt sick, with sources saying about 18 people had been taken to the hospital.
- Gordon Brown: Anti-Semitism row is about ‘soul’ of Labour Party
- Meghan Markle Accidentally Reveals Pet Name for Prince Harry
- Oil prices steady as OPEC supplies weigh but Iran sanctions loom
- Dutch police still questioning Amsterdam stabbing suspect
- Typhoon Jebi hits Japan
- Heat rule in play as temperature soars at U.S. Open
- Twitter roasts Faith Hill’s Aretha Franklin funeral performance
- Apple may replace Plus branding with Max on 6.5-inch iPhone Xs
- How to watch Jack Dorsey and Sheryl Sandberg testify to Congress live
- Firefighters respond to a blaze at Brazil's National Museum