Shares of Tesla fell more than 6 per cent to reach a five-month low on Friday morning following the departure of the company's chief accounting officer, Dave Morton, who resigned less than a month into the job on Friday.
Elon Musk found himself in the middle of another controversy on Friday, after he smoked weed and sipped whiskey during a rather unusual Thursday night podcast hosted by comedian Joe Rogan - with some suggesting the eccentric billionaire had acted irresponsibly.
"Elon's actions are making it harder and harder to support Tesla as a company", said analyst Gene Munster of Loup Ventures. Musk also caused a stir when he tweeted in August that he wanted to take Tesla private.
Tesla has long faced frequent executive turnover as the company faces intense pressure to succeed.
Musk stunned investors last month with tweets saying he had funding to take the company private for $420 (£323) a share. As of midday Friday, more than 1.5 million users had checked out his chat with Musk.
Rogan's podcast is known for being choppy and focused on a wide array of topics, but Musk's appearance was particularly wild, as the two went from discussing ancient weaponry to talking about the CEO's new electric plane design.
Morton took over the role in August 2018 after the former chief accountant, Eric Branderiz, left the post after almost two years.His resignation comes in the wake of departures by other Tesla executives including chief engineer Doug Field and top sales executive Ganesh Srivats who both resigned in July.
Musk explained that he's "not a regular smoker of weed" because he "doesn't find it's very good for productivity".
The spot on one of the most popular podcasts in the US marks Musk's first appearance in a public forum since he stunned the financial world last month with his short-lived effort to take Tesla private.
Earlier this week Musk escalated his baseless attacks against British diver Vernon Unsworth, claiming that the man who helped rescue children from a cave in Thailand was a "child rapist" in an email to a reporter.
The chairman and CEO of both Tesla and Space Exploration Technologies Corp., among other companies, recently gave an emotional interview to The New York Times in which he said friends were anxious about exhaustion. As for recreational drugs, he has used them "on occasion", sources said. Rogan said, as he lit what appeared to be a joint on camera.
- Trump suggests Apple build U.S. factories to keep prices down
- Elon Musk Smokes Weed In Live Interview!
- Marco Rubio to InfoWars' Alex Jones, 'Don't touch me again, man'
- Anonymous official says Trump staff working against 'amoral' president
- Missouri college drops Nike over new Kaepernick ad campaign
- Trump doesn't always follow rules, so Canada needs NAFTA's Chapter 19: Trudeau
- Colin Kaepernick Watched Ad Debut From Nike HQ
- Florida Child Killed After Tropical Storm Gordon Strikes Land
- Massachusetts Dem Goes After Trump Following Upset Win
- Sabotage blamed for International Space Station's leak