South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster declared a state of emergency in advance of the front on Saturday afternoon.
Because of the uncertainty of the storm's track, Northam encouraged all state residents to prepare for impact from this storm.
The southeastern United States coast will be most at danger on Thursday, when Florence could be at Category 4 strength.
It is important to note that significant impacts are possible well away from the center of the storm, and that the track error can be quite large at day 5 and beyond. "During harvest, time is of the essence".
South Carolina's Emergency Management Division also advised coastal residents to start making contingency plans.
Swells from the storm, which are likely to cause life-threatening conditions, are beginning to affect the East Coast. "Due to these conditions, Superintendent David Hallac is strongly urging all beach visitors to stay out of the Atlantic Ocean until unsafe conditions subside".
The forecast cone for Hurricane Florence at 11 a.m. on Sunday, Sept. 9, 2018. The storm will slowly weaken over the next few days.
A hurricane watch and a tropical storm warning and hurricane watch are in effect for the Cabo Verde islands of Santiago, Fogo, and Brava. Now traveling over warm water, the storm is expected to increase in speed and become a hurricane by the end of Saturday night according to the National Hurricane Center.
Tropical Depression Nine formed 1755 miles east of the Windward Islands Friday.
This continues to be a developing story.
Tropical Storm Helene is set to bring potential for flash-flooding as it hit Cabo Verde Islands in Africa. Meteorologists expect the tropical storm to evolve into a major hurricane by Tuesday night.
The third system - tropical Storm Helene is also strengthening.
- Syria war: Idlib rebels targeted by 'fiercest raids in weeks'
- Wildfire that closed I-5 near Oregon-California border doubles in size
- Apple may replace Plus branding with Max on 6.5-inch iPhone Xs
- Mac Miller Dead at 26 After Apparent Drug Overdose
- Nike releases new ad featuring Colin Kaepernick, LeBron James, Serena Williams
- Dead in Mass Shooting at Fifth Third Bank Building in Downtown Cincinnati
- Unnamed Trump Official Cites "Quiet Resistance" Within Administration
- Explaining Ireland's Nations League chances in simplest possible way
- Trail blazers Osaka and Nishikori , Latest Tennis News
- Tesla accounting chief quits over Tesla’s "level of public attention"