Police respond to active shooter situation in downtown Cincinnati

Monday, 10 Sep, 2018

Police say they're trying to learn why a gunman carrying a large amount of ammunition began shooting in a downtown Cincinnati high-rise building, killing three people and wounding two others before four officers all opened fire on him.

"Oh, no, no, no, no", the woman said as she slumped against the wall and spoke to Santa Perez's sister, the paper reported. UC Health spokeswoman Kelly Martin said one victim remained there in critical condition and another was listed as serious.

Suspect Omar Enrique Santa Perez lies on the ground, seen behind glass of left window pane, after being engaged by police as seen on police body camera video displayed during a news conference detailing the shooting incident of the previous day in the downtown business district, Friday, Sept. 7, 2018, in Cincinnati.

Cincinnati Police Chief Eliot Isaac said investigators have searched Perez's apartment but had not found any evidence to report.

Records show the shooter formerly lived in SC and South Florida and had been charged with some non-violent crimes years ago.

Mayor John Cranley condemned the violence in a statement to reporters Thursday, saying "we as a country have to end it".

"Horrific, grotesque and unacceptable", he said.

Bank manager Greg Harshfield told CNN affiliate WXIX that he could hear the shooting unfold from an upper floor of the building.

The chief said some of the victims were shot multiple times.

Witnesses said more than a dozen shots were fired.

Jaenetta Cook, who manages Servatii Bakery on the building's first floor, said she hurried to lock the door when she heard the first two shots.

He said a woman also was walking into the bank at the same time, but had her headphones on and couldn't hear their warnings.

The other two deceased were identified as 48-year-old Luis Felipe Calderon and 64-year-old Richard Newcomer. "I can't put into words how grief-stricken we are", Cotter said. "I saw a guy in a white shirt walk around and shooting like this - bing, bing, bing, bing", he said as he aimed an imaginary gun and pulled its trigger.

The building the gunman targeted was said to have strict security, and it wasn't clear how he was able to get in. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims, their families and all involved", medical officials said. Two other people who were shot are now hospitalized and authorities have not released their identities.

Ohio Sen. Rob Portman said he was following the situation and hopes for a peaceful resolution.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich tweeted that he had been in touch with local officials about what he described as a "senseless act". "The scourge of gun violence leaves only loss", Sittenfeld wrote on Twitter.