Hurricane Florence is a Category 1 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale with maximum sustained winds of 75 miles per hour (120 km/h), with higher gusts.
Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam declared a state of emergency on Saturday.
With an eye on Florence, governors in Virginia, North Carolina and SC have declared states of emergency, warning residents to prepare for a risky storm.
Though weakened to a tropical storm, Florence was expected to regain hurricane strength as it neared Bermuda.
Florence could cause life-threatening surf and rip currents along parts of the U.S. East Coast this weekend as the storm swirls across the Atlantic.
Currently, Florence is moving to the west near 7 miles per hour with maximum sustained winds of 65 miles per hour. a general west to northwestward motion is expected to continue for the next several days with an increase in forward motion expected by mid-week.
South Carolina's Emergency Management Division also advised coastal residents to start making contingency plans. It is not yet known if Florence will make landfall.
Both Tropical Storm Isaac and Tropical Storm Helene are expected to reach hurricane strength later today, but neither are considered potential threats. His announcement followed on the heels of North Carolina's state of emergency, declared Friday night by Gov. Roy Cooper.
"We are now in the peak of hurricane season - disaster preparedness should be a major priority for your family", Florida Governor Rick Scott wrote on Twitter. The window for the storm to miss the USA coast and turn harmlessly back to sea is closing, CNN forecasters said.
By Thursday, Florence will then turn into an extremely unsafe major hurricane. The U.S. Fleet Forces Command said in a news release Saturday that the ships will get ready in anticipation of getting under way Monday to avoid storm damage.
- Massachusetts Dem Goes After Trump Following Upset Win
- Obama Calls Trump the Product of a Republican Party Gone Mad
- WWE Issues Statement on Passing of Burt Reynolds
- Trail blazers Osaka and Nishikori , Latest Tennis News
- Plane quarantined at JFK after passengers fall ill
- When and where to watch US Open 2018 final
- Trump Mocks Light Sentence for Former Campaign Advisor George Papadopoulos
- Goldman Sachs CFO Calls Plans to Ditch Cryptocurrency "Fake News"
- Anonymous official says Trump staff working against 'amoral' president
- Explaining Ireland's Nations League chances in simplest possible way