Hurricane Florence is a Category 1 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale with maximum sustained winds of 75 miles per hour (120 km/h), with higher gusts.
Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam declared a state of emergency on Saturday.
With an eye on Florence, governors in Virginia, North Carolina and SC have declared states of emergency, warning residents to prepare for a risky storm.
Though weakened to a tropical storm, Florence was expected to regain hurricane strength as it neared Bermuda.
Florence could cause life-threatening surf and rip currents along parts of the U.S. East Coast this weekend as the storm swirls across the Atlantic.
Currently, Florence is moving to the west near 7 miles per hour with maximum sustained winds of 65 miles per hour. a general west to northwestward motion is expected to continue for the next several days with an increase in forward motion expected by mid-week.
South Carolina's Emergency Management Division also advised coastal residents to start making contingency plans. It is not yet known if Florence will make landfall.
Both Tropical Storm Isaac and Tropical Storm Helene are expected to reach hurricane strength later today, but neither are considered potential threats. His announcement followed on the heels of North Carolina's state of emergency, declared Friday night by Gov. Roy Cooper.
"We are now in the peak of hurricane season - disaster preparedness should be a major priority for your family", Florida Governor Rick Scott wrote on Twitter. The window for the storm to miss the USA coast and turn harmlessly back to sea is closing, CNN forecasters said.
By Thursday, Florence will then turn into an extremely unsafe major hurricane. The U.S. Fleet Forces Command said in a news release Saturday that the ships will get ready in anticipation of getting under way Monday to avoid storm damage.
- Anonymous official says Trump staff working against 'amoral' president
- Syria war: Idlib rebels targeted by 'fiercest raids in weeks'
- Massachusetts Dem Goes After Trump Following Upset Win
- Dead in Mass Shooting at Fifth Third Bank Building in Downtown Cincinnati
- Colin Kaepernick Watched Ad Debut From Nike HQ
- Indians Laugh, Cry And Celebrate After Gay Sex is Decriminalized
- Ben Stiller cheered on Rafael Nadal from player's box during epic match
- Marco Rubio to InfoWars' Alex Jones, 'Don't touch me again, man'
- At 41, joy for football still there for Tom Brady
- Trump doesn't always follow rules, so Canada needs NAFTA's Chapter 19: Trudeau