Restrictions have now been applied to another $50 billion worth, and another $200 billion of goods are in the crosshairs.
A day earlier, the president exhorted Apple to start building new plants in the USA after the tech giant warned that a proposed US$200 billion in new tariffs on Chinese imports would jack up the price of its products.
Trump has imposed tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese imports to remedy what he calls unfair Chinese trade practices. "First, given the balance of Apple's economic footprint, the burden of the proposed tariffs will fall much more heavily on the United States than on China".
Chinese leaders agreed in May to narrow that trade gap by purchasing more American soybeans and other products.
Agilent also said it does not believe the goods it imports are specifically covered by the "Made in China 2025" industrial policy. American officials worry they might erode USA industrial dominance.
San Francisco: Apple Inc. said proposed U.S. tariffs on $200 billion worth of products imported from China will raise prices for some of its popular consumer goods such as the Apple Watch and AirPods headphones. That might add to Washington's frustration and prompt more import controls. Earlier this year, the company said that as part of tax reform it would spend $350 billion in the United States over the next five years.
Shares of Apple slid Monday as mounting trade war tensions overshadowed the company's upcoming product launches.
Apparently, Apple's cash cow, the iPhone is not affected by the current round of tariffs, but mobile phones would be covered in the $267 billion of tariffs Trump suggested might be in the pipeline. Mr. Trump insinuated in a weekend Twitter post that Ford would build the small vehicle in US instead of importing it from China. The Trump's tweet on Saturday came after Apple hinted at increasing the price of its products.
They have tried to minimize the blow to China's economy by picking U.S. goods for which alternatives are available elsewhere, such as soybeans from Brazil, natural gas from Russian Federation or pork from Germany.
The Chinese plant isn't the only location where Ford will build the fourth-generation Focus so the automaker has alternative options for sourcing the Focus Active variant for the US market, should the vehicle still be planned for our market.
- Homeless Samaritan will get cash; couple under investigation
- Trump doesn't always follow rules, so Canada needs NAFTA's Chapter 19: Trudeau
- Skripal attack: Two Russian suspects named
- SC declares emergency ahead of storm Florence
- Ben Stiller cheered on Rafael Nadal from player's box during epic match
- Syria war: Idlib rebels targeted by 'fiercest raids in weeks'
- Governing body defends umpire after Serena Williams flap
- When and where to watch US Open 2018 final
- Trail blazers Osaka and Nishikori , Latest Tennis News
- Hurricane Florence Strengthens, Poses Major Threat to Southeast and Mid-Atlantic