Historically, midterms are lightly attended and Obama made a point of reminding his audience that only one in five young people voted in the 2014 midterm election. The remarks amounted to a stinging indictment of political life in the Trump era. A series of former presidents have avoided critiquing their successors, and Obama has attempted to keep that tradition since he left office in January 2017.
Obama is speaking Friday at the University of IL, where he's receiving an award for ethics in government.
Obama has spent much of his post-presidency on the political sidelines, but an adviser says that in the speech he will be more "pointed" in his reflection on the current political environment, including President Donald Trump.
The former president said Trump is "a symptom, not the cause" of the divisiveness.
Chelsea Brossard, Harder's campaign manager, called Saturday an "all hands on deck moment" for the campaign and said they were "proud to have this level of support as we begin the final stretch".
"It shouldn't be Democratic or Republican to say that we don't target groups of people because of what they look like or how they pray", Obama said.
"It's as old as time". They aren't accountable."They're not doing us a service by actively promoting 90 per cent of the insane stuff that's coming out of this White House and then saying, 'Don't worry, we're preventing the other 10 per cent.' That's not how things are supposed to work. Our antibodies kick in and people of good will from across the political spectrum call out the bigots and the fear-mongers and work to compromise and get things done and promote the better angels of our nation". Next week he'll be in OH to campaign for Richard Cordray and other Democrats. "A politics of fear and resentment and retrenchment takes hold".
President Trump pretended to be unmoved, saying, "I watched it but I fell asleep. Suddenly deficits do not matter", Obama said.
"If you're a patriot and you like the course America is on, just ignore them, get behind this president, and vote", she told her viewers.
Obama emphasized to the students the "stakes really are higher" regarding this year's midterms.
He later added: "This is not normal".
"Your version of America is not the America we want", Pirro said on Saturday night in a message to Obama. I'm not making that up. that's not hypothetical.
The op-ed author claimed there was a "resistance" of senior officials working in the White House to "frustrate parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations". He said the biggest threat to democracy isn't Trump but "indifference". He said people have asked him what he's going to do for the November election.
"That is not a check, I'm being serious here". These people aren't elected.
Obama also unloaded on the Republican Party, saying that it has become a home for the politics of "division, of resentment and paranoia" and that its members are abdicating their responsibilities by doing nothing "when the president does something insane".
"Are you kidding?" Pirro said.
Obama was alluding to last year's violence in Charlottesville, Va. - white supremacist rallies, which eventually led to one woman being killed. "And we're sure as heck supposed to stand up clearly and unequivocally to Nazi sympathizers".
The speech is Mr Obama's first big step into the campaign for the midterm elections.
Former President Barack Obama attends a campaign event Saturday in Anaheim, California, for Democratic congressional candidates. The president added that a victory by Democratic nominee Hillary ClintonHillary Diane Rodham ClintonBruce Ohr's efforts to secretly reshape the Trump probe started earlier in summer '16 Poll: Dem, GOP candidates for Georgia governor dead even Wisconsin Dem touts Kaepernick, accuses Trump of not knowing words to anthem MORE in 2016 would have significantly harmed the economy.
- Nadal, Djokovic one win from renewing rivalry in New York
- ‘Fiction!’ Trump says he’ll write ‘real book’ in response to Woodward’s publication
- Apple says United States tariffs on China would hit 'wide range' of products
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- Smart money points to Trump charge
- Poor putting costs Tiger Woods on day two at BMW
- Governing body defends umpire after Serena Williams flap
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Luis Enrique Greeting Sergio Ramos Is Brilliant
- Florence becomes hurricane, threatens southeast US coast