They were the third and fourth victims; the gunman, who is yet to be named, had already shot dead his own wife and two men at a trucking company nearby.
The sixth killing occurred when the suspect eventually turned on himself with a gunshot to his chest as deputies closed in to confront him at a parking lot.
Police are still investigating the gunman's alleged motives and his relationship to the victims.
Wednesday's incident happened when the man went with his wife to a trucking company in Bakersfield, California. The gunman later killed two men at a residence.
Police then received a call from a woman who said she had been carjacked.
He then headed to a nearby highway where he saw a deputy and pulled over.
Six people died in a short amount of time, he added. "This is the new normal". Youngblood says the daughter may have tried to intervene.
Youngblood said the shooting spree began about 5:20 p.m., when the unidentified suspect and his wife arrived together at a trucking business in an industrial complex in east Bakersfield. The woman and child managed to escape.
Three people were killed there and the shooter, armed with a large calibre handgun, fled. "He then chased and shot another man who showed up", Youngblood said.
The gunman and his ex-wife had been divorced four months, and she had just filed for a new hearing regarding child support and property values, Youngblood said Thursday.
Deputy Donny Youngblood says the investigation spans multiple crime scenes and deputies will work through the night to find out what went wrong.
What we do know is the Kern County Sheriff's Office is saying there are five different shooting scenes with no outstanding suspects and more than thirty witnesses. "Obviously there's some type of situation that caused the husband to be extremely upset".
- Apple is Removing a Classic Feature from the New iPhone 2018 Lineup
- Apple Watch Series 4 launched; Price, features and more
- Off-duty Texas officer entered wrong apartment, shot and killed resident
- Canadian pricing for new iPhones ranges from $1,029 to $1,999
- Senate Judiciary Committee wraps up Kavanaugh hearing
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Apple's newest iPhone could have big screen, big price
- Hurricane Florence threatens millions on US East Coast
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- ‘Trump is a symptom, not the cause’