"I like that development, to be honest, and now we have to prove that and to do it again and again and again". They could and should have suffered a heavier defeat. It gave the flicker of hope that an equalizer could be grabbed, and Son Heung-min was then denied a penalty when he was kicked by Sadio Mane.
Neville, who was an integral part of Sir Alex Ferguson's unparalleled success story at Old Trafford, commented that the Reds need to loosen their focus on continental football if they are to win the league title this year.
A point wouldn't have been deserved by Spurs after such an inferior display.
"It was quality", Alexander-Arnold replied when asked to assess the performance.
But regardless of the mitigating factors, Spurs were second best from start to finish, with defensive mistakes costing Mauricio Pochettino's team for both goals. Liverpool's success will depend on dealing with those. Our live coverage lets you follow all the key moments as they happen.
"The first half was even and then we conceded again from a set-piece".
As for Liverpool's second goal, that was a comedy of errors which highlighted the uncertainty at the back, with Vertonghen diverting a cross on to the post before Vorm allowed the rebound to slip through his fingers.
The global break was long and arduous but with Premier League action set to resume today, supporters will be able to feast their eyes on the most exciting game of the week at Wembley.
However, for two teams to manage it is unheard of - this is first season in Premier League history where a pair of clubs managed ideal starts through five games.
- Mass. gas blasts injures at least 3
- United condemns Watford to first loss
- Trump declares administration ‘completely ready’ for Hurricane Florence
- Hurricane Florence still a threat despite downgrade
- Apple is Removing a Classic Feature from the New iPhone 2018 Lineup
- Gunman kills five people before shooting himself in southern California rampage
- Nintendo is launching a wireless NES-style controller for the Switch
- Storm Helene poses 'risk to life' as it heads for the UK
- Apple India prices revealed; internet explodes with memes
- Tobacco Stocks Jump Following FDA Warning to E-Cig Companies