Actually, it started on Saturday, when Woods began his third round with a barrage of birdies.
Asked where this win ranked in terms of his lengthy list of career highlights, Woods admitted it's towards the top.
Never before has Woods failed to convert when he had such a big advantage through three rounds.
By Woods's side on Sunday will be McIlroy, who has dreamed since he was a teenager of playing alongside his idol in the final round with a title on the line. "I couldn't sit, I couldn't walk, I couldn't lay down without feeling the pain in my back and leg".
Woods was tied with Rose at the start of the third round of the Tour Championship but is now three shots clear of the Euro pair following a sublime 65.
He built a five-shot lead at the turn and despite bogeys at the 15th and 16th holes, he held on ahead of fast-finishing Billy Horschel, who carded 66 for second place on nine-under. Even if Woods isn't as intimidating a playing partner as he once was, he's never lost when starting the final round with a three-shot edge.
Incredibly, he nearly won the FedEx Cup too, but had to settle for second in the season-long rankings after Justin Rose birdied the final hole to finish in a tie for fourth.
If the play-offs belonged to Rose, the week was Woods' in his 80th PGA Tour victory.
It sparked widespread reaction on social media, with 18-time major champion Jack Nicklaus leading the way. "Out of 40 majors can he win five of them, I don't know?"
The man himself will tell you it is not even the greatest comeback in golf, let alone sport as a whole, citing instead Ben Hogan's recovery from a near-fatal auto crash.
He did have time, however, to remember his father and earliest mentor Earl, who died in 2006. I am very happy for him and extremely proud of him.
"Some of the players I saw after on the 18th green knew what I was struggling with and it was really special to see them there". Just to be able to compete and play again this year, that's a hell of a comeback.
There will also be the introduction of a $10m purse for the money list at the end of the regular season.
"It's not been so easy the past couple of years but I couldn't have done it without the people around me".
- US Imposes 10% Tariff on Certain Auto Glass Imported From China
- Senate panel wants Kavanaugh hearing terms worked out Friday
- Timberwolves owner open to trading Butler
- Startling before and after images show Hurricane Florence's true power
- Here's our first look at Joaquin Phoenix's Joker in full make-up
- GOP warns time running out for Kavanaugh's accuser to talk
- Fourth Witness Claims No Recollection of Alleged Kavanaugh Assault Against Ford
- Tiger Woods in numbers: Key stats from Tour Championship victory
- Firmino returns as Shaqiri gets first league start
- Japanese businessman to become first private moon tourist