Kavanaugh, who staunchly denies the allegation, also will testify at what is a continuation of his nomination hearing.
Judge Kavanaugh, who President Trump wants to appoint to the Supreme Court, is facing multiple historic accusations of sexual abuse.
"At that point, I felt like enough was enough", she said, adding that people were calling her colleagues from Standford saying they knew who she was.
Dr Ford claims Mr Kavanaugh tried to force himself on her at a party in the 1980s. "I can only say that what they have done to this man is incredible".
She said she was 15 when she attended a party where she encountered Kavanaugh, who was 17 at the time.
She said that over the years, she convinced herself that because she was not raped, she should just pretend that it did not happen. Trump said: "If I thought he was guilty of something like this. yeah, sure".
Before Ms Ford began, committee chairman Chuck Grassley defended the Republicans' handling of the confirmation proceedings so far. The network reports that Senate Judiciary Committee investigators placed a call to Kavanaugh about the accusations on September 25 and he denied the encounter.
In a sworn statement, Swetnick accused Kavanaugh and his high school friend Mark Judge of excessive drinking and inappropriate treatment of women, among other accusations.
Kavanaugh was nominated by President Donald Trump to fill the vacancy on the court left by retiring Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy.
Kavanaugh will then be questioned by the 11 Democrat Senators on the committee in the same format as Ford.
This is the fourth allegation to be made against Judge Kavanaugh. She continued that she hadn't heard of the "systematic rape culture" being alleged by Kavanaugh accuser Julie Swetnick, but that treating women as "objects" was commonplace.
The 11 Republican and 10 Democratic members of the panel will have five minutes each to question Ford and Kavanaugh in alternating turns.
She alleges that in 1982, whilst they were both in high school Kavanaugh pushed her down, placed his hand over her mouth and attempted to remove her clothing.
- Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh: Latest allegations are 'from the Twilight Zone'
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Barkley claims 'unselfish' Hazard is better than Ronaldo and Messi
- At Kavanaugh's former school Yale, students transfixed by hearing
- Netanyahu Calls Putin, Blames Syria, Iran
- Federal Bureau of Investigation finds body, believed to be missing NC boy
- Trump says his past accusers influence his thinking on Kavanaugh
- Europe Defeats U.S. to Win Ryder Cup
- Sen. Bill Cassidy: FBI Probe Must Investigate Dems' Collusion to Smear Kavanaugh
- Fans call 'Fantastic Beast' casting of Claudia Kim as Nagini problematic