Now a newly released interview excerpt shows the first lady defending her work with Be Best for a personal reason: She sees herself as a victim of bullying.
Asked whether there are still people in the administration she can not trust, Trump said yes. But "you always need to watch your back", she says.
"I didn't know people in Washington, and now I know everybody", he said. "Believe me, she would not be my first choice, that I can tell you", he said of another woman, without naming her.
That really fired up Sunny Hostin, who said she'd taken many cases to trial with "just the woman's word".
In the ABC interview she also said women alleging they have been sexually abused "need to have really hard evidence".
Melania's full interview will air on Friday night at 10pm.
Melania Trump speaks out against cyberbullying. "We need to educate the children of social and emotional health, so when they grow up they know how to deal with these issues", she said.
"You can not just say to somebody". She didn't name names but said she let her husband know about them.
In another preview clip of her interview that aired on Wednesday (Thursday NZT), Trump said she was disappointed to find that some groups turned down her request to collaborate with them.
The preview ends with him asking about 'the jacket, ' which the First Lady wore soon after her husband's justice department enacted an order which allowed parents and their children to be separated at the border.
Someone in the crowd then yelled, "Do it anyway" and Trump responded that he would, but "those people up there" (meaning the media) would say, "Did you hear what President Trump said?" "They don't bring people around that can say, 'This is not the right thing to do'".
- Nokia 7.1 Plus stops by Geekbench ahead of its announcement tomorrow
- Kanye West Meets with Trump at White House
- Trump says Federal Reserve ‘has gone crazy’ after big stock drop
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- International Monetary Fund upgrades outlook on Russian Federation as economy recovers
- Latest updates: British designers made Eugenie's wedding dress
- London clubs can challenge Liverpool and Manchester City for title, says Robertson
- Dow Jones Falls 545 Points
- Elon Musk says James Murdoch will not replace him as Tesla chair
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester