Guerra had thrown 3 2/3 scoreless innings before the last pitch. Two days later, Athletics reliever Fernando Abad threw at Machado's knees, almost hitting him, and on the next pitch, he retaliated by throwing his bat at third base, where Alberto Callaspo had just replaced Donaldson. Roberts said he sees Grandal getting "a little too anxious" in high-leverage situations, and Grandal admitted to venturing outside the strike zone a little too frequently. Milwaukee got only two runners to third base, none after the seventh inning.
The Dodgers' defence also contributed to the woes with several nifty plays, including Cody Bellinger's full-stretch, diving catch of Cain's sinking liner leading off the 10th. The Dodgers have won three out of four games at home during the playoffs compared to a 2-2 record on the road.
Both benches cleared after Machado clipped the back leg of Milwaukee first baseman Jesus Aguilar while running out his groundout Tuesday night in the 10th inning of Game 4.
Brewers players were quick to defend Aguilar - and point fingers at Machado.
"He's a player that has a history of those types of incidents", Yelich said.
"You saw the replay, probably", Machado said.
"It's a dirty play by a dirty player", Yelich said. Aguilar said he and Machado talked it over and it's over.
"We're good for sure", Aguilar said. "They want the best out of all of us, especially in the postseason". "We turned the page, and now we have to come and play the game (Wednesday)". It's the second pedestrian ERA for Gonzalez in the past three seasons, though his 2017 season was terrific in that regard (2.96), and his 2016 ERA (4.57) was heavily skewed by an uncharacteristic dip in strand rate. Hill was making his first appearance in the NLCS after starting the Dodgers on their way to the victory in the NLDS clincher at Atlanta on October 8.
Freddy Peralta replaced Gonzalez in the second inning. The other was Johnny Cueto, who struck out the only batter he faced in Game 1 of the 2012 NLDS before leaving with back spasms. The under is 8-1 in the last nine Milwaukee games overall.
Then the wait was on. The Dodgers are 4-8 when tied 2-2 in a best- of-seven series, the Brewers are 0-2. So it's just a friendly game, go out, try and compete here. But I think a bunch of guys are not really on it right now offensively.
The series is tied 2-2, and the victor of the pivotal Game 5 will go to Milwaukee with a chance to clinch a spot in the 2018 World Series on Friday night.
- White Woman Who Falsely Accused Black Boy Of Sexual Harassment Apologizes
- Hurricane Michael Claims 27 Lives As Hundreds Go Missing
- Harry Kane's reaction when asked about Real Madrid move
- Canada legalises cannabis for recreational use
- Koreas to break ground on railway, road connections by early December
- Saudis said ready to concede writer was slain in botched interrogation
- Tom Brady Reveals What Went Through His Mind When The Chiefs Scored
- Roseanne Barr takes to Twitter to blast character's fate on show
- Sears files for bankruptcy, stores stay open
- How does Princess Eugenie's wedding dress stack up against Meghan and Kate's?