The health department did not say where the child died after testing positive for influenza B. The child had not been vaccinated.
Eric Teitel got his flu shot at his local Walgreens pharmacy. State epidemiologists say the child had not been vaccinated and was otherwise healthy before getting sick with the flu. "Since we can not predict who will develop a serious complication from the flu, we recommended that all children over the age of 6-months-old receive the flu vaccine for the best protection".
The exact timing and duration of the flu season varies from year to year, but often cases begin to increase in October, according to another report by the CDC. Those groups did not recommend the spray the last two flu seasons because it was not effective against some strains of influenza, but this year the organizations support the nasal spray as an alternative to the shot.
Most flu deaths are among the elderly, children, pregnant women and those with compromised immune systems.
Last flu season was one of the worst in decades.
The CDC says an estimated 80,000 Americans died of flu and its complications last winter.
"With any medication or vaccine, people are going to have concerns", said Dr. Jean Moorjani, a board-certified pediatrician at Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children, in a news release.
Most pharmacies in the United States of America offer several FDA approved flu and vaccines.
It's the first reported pediatric death in Florida for the 2018-19 flu season. And she adds that now is the right time to get the shot before the season starts to ramp up.
When it comes to the conventional flu shot, the CDC makes no "preferential recommendation" between the vaccine that protects against three flu strains and the vaccine that protects against four flu strains.
"We're happy to have as many options out there as we can get", said Brammer.
Common symptoms include fever, body aches, fatigue, coughing, and sore throat.
- Saudi Arabia Vows Retaliation if Punished over Missing Critic
- Rare health threat captures attention in the heartland
- Mattis disputes he's leaving post, says Trump with him "100 percent"
- Sears files for bankruptcy, stores stay open
- YouTube Faces Widespread Outage, Says "Working On Resolving This"
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Are Already Decorating Their Baby’s Nursery
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announce they are expecting a baby
- Meghan Markle wows with banana bread on Australia tour
- Tom Brady Reveals What Went Through His Mind When The Chiefs Scored
- Brexit Talks Stall At 'Moment Of Truth' Summit