A source told the outlet exclusively that Rihanna declined an offer to headline the sporting event because she "supports Colin Kaepernick". Previously, the Bronx Bomber said she would NOT do the Super Bowl. "She doesn't agree with the NFL's stance", the source told US Weekly.
Kaepernick's decision to begin kneeling during the anthem in 2016 sparked a heated national debate, with critics including US President Donald Trump calling the players unpatriotic.
Kaepernick remains out of the National Football League - with no team having signed him since he left the San Francisco 49ers after the 2016 season. Well. Guess who decided not to do the Super Bowl LIII Halftime Show?
For entertainers, the Super Bowl halftime show stage is one of the most coveted gigs in the business. In 2006, she created the Believe Foundation to help terminally ill children, has been supportive of charities helping to combat HIV/AIDs and cancer, and founded the Clara Lionel Foundation (CLF) in 2012, to help impoverished communities across the globe.
Now that the reason for Rihanna's absence has been made public, Maroon 5 are facing pressure to turn down the show as well.
As for the Super Bowl, the offer for the 30-year-old singer and Fenty Beauty pioneer reportedly went to Maroon 5, who is now slated as the headliner.
"She is certainly being considered, yet it's clearly far too soon to state without a doubt", one insider says, taking note of that "anything could occur or change" when February 3, 2019, amusement moves around.
- Trump touts Saudi King's denial in journalist's disappearance
- What Buhari told family of Hauwa Liman after execution by Boko Haram
- Joel Embiid PUNKED By Boston Celtics On NBA Opening Night!
- 'Much more time' needed for Brexit deal, says Barnier
- Trump Warns Mexico on Migrant Caravan, Threatens to Close Border
- How to watch Brewers vs. Dodgers, NLCS Game 4
- Canada legalises cannabis for recreational use
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp blasts 'senseless' Nations League
- Harry Kane's reaction when asked about Real Madrid move
- Saudi suspect in Khashoggi case killed in accident