David Blough tossed three touchdown passes and D.J. Knox rushed for three more, and host Purdue stunned No. 2 Ohio State with a 49-20 rout Saturday night in West Lafayette, Ind. Ohio State responded by quickly marching down the field helped by two 15-yard penalties against Purdue's defense before settling for a 24-yard field goal.
Ohio State's loss provides a shakeup to the top of the bowl projections, knocking them out of the College Football Playoff for the time being.
Ohio State is all too familiar with being on the brink of a semifinal spot, as the 2014 Big Ten championship game was exactly the boost the Buckeyes needed to get into the top four, while last year's Big Ten title win over Wisconsin wasn't enough for the two-loss champs.
Alabama is the unanimous number one, Notre Dame is ranked 3 and LSU is ranked 4. But the Buckeyes got no points out of that drive when Haubeil missed a 33-yard line wide left with 1:51 left in the first half.
"We knew that they couldn't hang with us", Winovich said. Clemson moves up to No. 2 in Ohio State's place and is followed by Notre Dame, LSU and MI. Ohio State came up short of even half its scoring average.
"The team was scheduled to arrive at Spartan Stadium at approximately 10 a.m. and walked the field at approximately 10:02 a.m.", Michigan State said in Monday's statement.
The mistake-prone Buckeyes, meanwhile, didn't reach the end zone until early in the fourth quarter and never led on a night they ran 25 times for 76 yards. But teams ranked No. 2 in the country with aspirations of playing for the national championship do not expect to lose by four touchdowns to a team that lost to Eastern Michigan.
"There's no tension", Meyer said Tuesday when asked about the report. Purdue put the game away with 28 fourth-quarter points.
Most recent season Purdue won three-straight road games, something it will try to do on Saturday at Michigan State. Two plays later, quarterback Brian Lewerke caught a 4-yard pass from receiver Darrell Stewart off a reverse to pull the Spartans into a tie. OSU is off this week before playing Nebraska on November 3.
The win was much-needed by MI football, which entered the year under fire because of the team's lack of big wins under Jim Harbaugh. He said on a teleconference Sunday he wasn't going to address the situation, calling it "juvenile".
- Hazard heroics spell trouble for Chelsea's rivals, says Mourinho
- Chelsea legend questions Real Madrid transfer: 'Why would Eden Hazard leave?'
- Thousands take to streets in London demanding second Brexit vote
- Man Arrested for Threatening Senators Over Kavanaugh Support
- Train services partially resume in Amritsar; protesters booked
- Varadkar says even with Brexit transition extension Irish ‘backstop’ needed
- Mustafi: Ozil makes Arsenal a 'dangerous' team
- Chelsea coach Ianni charged over Mourinho fracas
- Jose Mourinho labelled RECKLESS by Gary Neville for Chelsea decision
- Meghan's Schedule in Australia Cut Back after Hectic Start