Lottery players will also have another shot at massive jackpot on Wednesday night, when the next Powerball drawing is held.
The current Mega Millions jackpot beats the previous record, a $1.586 billion jackpot for a Powerball drawing in 2016, said Seth Elkin, a spokesman for Mega Millions. However, only seven states let you buy individual Mega Millions tickets online. It's calculated by taking the 30 years of installment payments and "discounting" them to a present value by applying an interest rate based on the rates earned on government bonds. If one person gets all of the numbers, they can choose the lump-sum cash payout and walk away with nearly $905 million after taxes.
Powerball and Mega Millions have a lot of people dreaming about joining the ranks of wealthiest people on the planet. Players have 365 days after the date of a drawing to claim prizes.
More than 4,500 retailers across Maryland sell lottery tickets, including convenience stores, gas stations, restaurants, bars, bowling alleys and grocery stores, according to the Maryland Lottery. It is 1 in 292,201,338.
In Chicago, a crowded newsstand inside the city's Ogilvie Transportation Center was unable to display the record-setting prize amount because US$999 million was the highest number its electronic sign could show.
The winning numbers for the Mega Millions on Tuesday night are 5, 28, 62, 65, 70, and the Mega Ball is 5. Of the five largest jackpots awarded in the USA, three went to multiple winners.
How can I receive the money if I win?
Most lottery winners' lives end in disaster - even death - as they are overcome by misfortune, not to speak of friends and relatives who come out of the woodwork, along with conmen and tricksters. New York, with the nation's fourth-largest population, leads with seven winners.
States have generally reported increased Mega Millions and Powerball sales since the change.
- Title-chasing Hamilton forced to wait as Raikkonen wins US Grand Prix
- China 'regrets' U.S. leaving postal union amid trade dispute
- Emery: Ramsey treated like every other player
- Iran's oil minister says USA sanctions can not stop crude exports
- Mustafi: Ozil makes Arsenal a 'dangerous' team
- Train services partially resume in Amritsar; protesters booked
- Man Arrested for Threatening Senators Over Kavanaugh Support
- Mega Millions numbers for $1B jackpot announced
- Trump campaigns for Ted Cruz in Texas
- Trump, Ryan concerned by Khashoggi disappearance | Lexington Herald Leader