Liverpool are capable of mounting serious challenges in both the Premier League and Champions League this season, claims Steve McManaman, after the Reds' summer of savvy recruitment saw them bolster an already-impressive squad.
Liverpool take on Red Star Belgrade this evening on matchweek three of the Champions League. "The present for his birthday was not that he was in the lineup, it was that we played his favourite system with the double 6".
He cushioned a lovely ball through to Salah, who lashed a rising shot on his right foot past goalkeeper Borjan for his second goal in two games.
"It's a hard group, for all teams, and we have to make sure that we make the next step against a really good side. That was the start, now he has to carry on". Following the forward's departure Sadio Mane made up for a missed penalty by netting a fourth as Liverpool overwhelmed the Red Star, whose supporters were banned from attending a one-sided Anfield clash for a pitch invasion at an August play-off in Salzburg. But the pair would turn out to be crucial components in Liverpool's run to the Champions League final.
"I've seen him lots of times and his play is still very, very good".
However, he is now up to six for the new season as another neat touch from Shaqiri set up Salah to give Liverpool the cushion of a two-goal lead just before half-time.
Some neat interplay with Mohamed Salah down the right on his first real venture into the Red Star half nearly played in the Egypt global for Liverpool's opener, which soon followed thanks to Roberto Firmino's deflected shot from the centre of the box.
The kick-off time for Manchester United vs Juventus game is 8pm, while that of Liverpool vs Red Star Belgrade is also 8pm.
Firmino, one of five players back in the starting line-up after a depleted Reds side narrowly beat Huddersfield in the league on Saturday, marked his return with his 13th goal in 18 Champions League appearances for the club and his 10th in eight games at Anfield. However, Red Star do not have to look too far for inspiration as they have won both of their previous meetings against Liverpool. We knew before the game it was going to be tough, but the most important thing for us is the three points. Fabinho's showing was the best example of that.
- Cowboys acquire Amari Cooper from Raiders for 1st-rounder
- Jose Mourinho in scuffle on return to Stamford Bridge
- Varadkar says even with Brexit transition extension Irish ‘backstop’ needed
- Emery: Ramsey treated like every other player
- China 'regrets' U.S. leaving postal union amid trade dispute
- Trump's October Surprise for Dems Is New 'Middle Class Tax Cut'
- Trump, Ryan concerned by Khashoggi disappearance | Lexington Herald Leader
- May says 95% of Brexit deal agreed with EU
- Trump campaigns for Ted Cruz in Texas
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry to delay United States tour because of pregnancy