He underlined that Riyadh's explanations so far on the killing of journalist Khashoggi were insufficient, and global community wanted to know the whole truth about what happened to him.
In an interview with the Washington Post published late Saturday, Trump stepped back from his stance that Saudi Arabia´s latest explanation for the death of the journalist inside their Istanbul consulate was credible, but said he remained confident in the leadership of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
"We have $450 billion, $110 billion of which is a military order, but this is equipment and various things ordered from Saudi Arabia", Trump said.
How has the Saudi version of events changed?
"Indonesia hopes the investigation being carried out is transparent and thorough", Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi told reporters after Widodo's meeting with Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir, which she attended. He said massive United States investments in the kingdom and elsewhere in the region only cause chaos. "This was an operation where individuals ended up exceeding the authorities and responsibilities they had". "There obviously was a tremendous mistake made and what compounded the mistake was the attempt to try to cover up".
Until this point - for 18 days - the authorities had maintained that the Saudi critic was last seen leaving the building alive. He also said Prince Mohammed was not responsible. The reaction by the worldwide community has been late but strong. "I would love if he wasn't responsible".
But the U.S. president said that, although sanctions were a possibility, halting an arms deal would "hurt us more than it would hurt them".
Bob Corker (R-TN) said Saudi Arabia's story on the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi was not "credible". That contradicted the public prosecutor's statement a day earlier that Khashoggi died after a fistfight with people who met him inside the consulate.
Germany is one of the first countries to have sanctioned Riyadh: chancellor Angela Merkel announced Sunday that the sale of weapons intended for the saudi Arabia will be temporarily suspended.
Where is the investigation now?
The Turkish official identified the man in the video as Mustafa al-Madani, who was allegedly part of what investigators said was a hit squad, sent to kill the journalist at the Saudi consulate during an appointment on October 2 to get papers for his upcoming wedding.
California Rep. Adam Schiff, the top Democrat on the House intelligence committee, said on ABC's "This Week" that the killing should be a "relationship-altering" event for the US and Saudi Arabia, which has said it will retaliate against any economic sanctions or other moves against it.
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- WWE Champion reveals he is battling a deadly diseases
- Trump, Ryan concerned by Khashoggi disappearance | Lexington Herald Leader
- May says 95% of Brexit deal agreed with EU
- Trump Wants to Define Transgender Out of Existence — NY Times
- Iran's oil minister says USA sanctions can not stop crude exports
- Mohammed bin Salman calls Khashoggi murder a 'heinous crime'
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- Chelsea coach Ianni charged over Mourinho fracas
- Smart money points to Trump charge