Megyn Kelly's "Today" show run on NBC is officially over. The fourth hour of NBC's venerable Today franchise that Kelly's show occupied will be hosted by other co-anchors from the show beginning next week, the network said.
Negotiations are ongoing regarding Kelly's exit from NBC, a person familiar with the situation said Friday, speaking on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorised to discuss the issue publicly. Even her hotly contested interview with right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones premiered to a relatively measly 3.5 million viewers, losing out to a rerun of "America's Funniest Home Videos" in the same time slot.
Then on February 1, 2017, NBC made the abrupt announcement: Hall left the network the day before, on the day her contract was up.
A previously-taped episode of "Megyn Kelly Today" aired in place of a live show Thursday. In 2013, while an anchor at Fox, Kelly addressed the ethnicity of Santa Claus by saying: "For all you kids watching at home, Santa just is white".
Kelly's attorney, Bryan Freedman, told Variety that Kelly "remains an employee of NBC News and discussions about next steps are continuing". "Well, I am wrong and I am sorry", she said.
The bombastic blonde pundit tweeted her support for Kelly on Thursday night, referring to the news that Kelly was about to lose her morning show as "straight bull". "I thought perhaps it was a little parody for some comedy thing", Mitchell said. "I learned that given the history of blackface being used in bad ways by racists in this country it is not okay for that to be part of any costume, Halloween or otherwise". "But NBC hired an unrepentant Kelly, who spoke with pride of all her work at Fox News".
Megyn Kelly speaks onstage during Fortune's Most Powerful Women Summit - Day 2 at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Washington, on October 13, 2015. She again came under fire this week for not understanding why dressing in blackface for Halloween was offensive.
- Google To Release Software Update For Photo Saving Issue
- May says 95% of Brexit deal agreed with EU
- WWE Champion reveals he is battling a deadly diseases
- Iran's oil minister says USA sanctions can not stop crude exports
- Florida man arrested in connection with pipe bomb packages
- Video shows Saudi using Khashoggi body double
- Mohammed bin Salman calls Khashoggi murder a 'heinous crime'
- Saudi King Salman meets with family members of slain journalist
- Florida Democrat Andrew Gillum targeted by second racist robocall
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry to delay United States tour because of pregnancy