The 26-year-old has endured a hard time with injuries in recent years but he's now fully fit and has been included in the squad that flew out to Portugal this afternoon ahead of Arsenal's Europa League group stage game with Sporting Lisbon on Thursday evening.
The captain scored one wonderful counterattacking goal in the first half and helped make two more for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang to keep Emery's side two points off the top of the Premier League as they came from behind to beat Leicester City.
It didn't look like it would be the case after going 1-0 down early on, but Unai Emery's never say die spirit prevailed.
"We want the balance", head coach Emery said. Scoring goals is important for this spectacle.
"Mesut will come across as laid back but he is helping everyone in a different way and he helps me a lot".
"I do not have to tell you how good a player Mesut Ozil is, he has shown that", defender Shkodran Mustafi said.
The Uruguay midfielder joined from Sampdoria and had to wait five games to be handed his full debut by Emery.
However, Iwobi himself was quick to praise Özil after his scintillating display.
"We are also looking at the teams in front us like Liverpool, Manchester City and Chelsea". He is the most talked about player in the Premier League, with some believing him to be the embodiment of everything that's been wrong with Arsenal in recent years and others arguing that without him the Gunners would be in even worse shape.
Arsenal's players returned for training on Tuesday ahead of their Europa League encounter with Sporting and Aubameyang caught Ozil watching his goal back as he was having a well-deserved massage.
For that reason, Emery has brought a strong squad with him, despite the fact kick-off in Lisbon comes less than three days since the victory over Leicester. Captaining the north London club for the first time, Ozil was at the heart of his side's best attacking play, including a superb assist for the third goal.
"In our mind we want to be first in this group". It's very important to win today because Leicester are behind us but near and today I think we created a big distance.
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Companion App Heading to Android And iOS
- Putin: Russia Will Attack Any Country That Launches US Missiles
- Saudi prosecutors: Jamal Khashoggi killing was premeditated
- Megyn Kelly, Elizabeth Warren and PC Power
- CNN device was pipe bomb, addressed to Brennan
- Lottery fever remains in Kentucky as Powerball approaches $620 million
- Breast cancer is Aegon's biggest CI claim cause
- Islamic Jihad group announces Gaza ceasefire with Israel
- Kanye West’s Surprise for Kim Kardashian for Her Birthday
- Mohammed bin Salman calls Khashoggi murder a 'heinous crime'