The stripping away of rights granted by the U.S. Constitution would be among President Trump's most virulent attacks on immigrants - and the U.S. Constitution - ever.
The 14th Amendment and the Immigration and Naturalization Act of 1952, both ratified by Congress, state that people born in the U.S. and subject to its jurisdiction are citizens at birth. The issue revolves around how the 14th Amendment is interpreted, and Axios notes that any such move by the president would be quickly challenged in court.
Proponents of birthright citizenship say it allows anyone born on USA soil to be granted automatic US citizenship regardless of legal status of the parents.
"I would like to see us get back to rule of law", Scalise said, before referring to the migrants and asylum seekers traveling through Mexico on the way to the USA border.
Administration officials say there likely would be no decisions until after the midterms.
"It was always told to me you need a constitutional amendment. To secure our border and fix our laws", Ryan said. "It'll happen with an executive order".
He has long called for an end to birthright citizenship, as have many conservatives.
President Trump said he's preparing an executive order to end birthright citizenship in the U.S. In an interview with Axios, Trump said he wants to end birthright citizenship for children born in the U.S.to noncitizens.
The interview was released after Trump told Fox News that Central American migrants who are approaching the U.S. -Mexico border in caravans are "wasting their time" and vowed, "they are not coming in". While Trump claims the controversial move could "definitely" be accomplished with legislation, others argue it would result in a locked legal battle.
Few immigration and constitutional experts believe Mr Trump has the power to change birthright citizenship, Axios reports.
President Donald Trump plans to sign an executive order meant to end what he called the "ridiculous" practice of extending citizenship to children born in the U.S. to noncitizen parents.
- Browns fire Jackson, promote DC Williams
- Infamous mob boss James "Whitey" Bulger found dead in prison
- Cricket Australia 'partly to blame' in ball-tampering scandal
- Cardinals Star Cornerback Patrick Peterson Requests Trade
- IOS 12.1 Group FaceTime Compatibility: Will Your Device Support It?
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Priyanka Chopra kicks off pre-wedding celebrations
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- Mahrez dedicates victor to Leicester owner as City return to top
- Here's Why Steve Madden Just Called Out Nicki Minaj on Twitter