Verstappen lost out by 0.026, with Ricciardo setting a track record time of one minute 14.759 seconds, and he did not try and hide his disappointment.
"I did pay attention in maths so I could make the numbers, but still, you hang in there as long as you can".
"So it feels a bittersweet victory in that it is fantastic for Max to have driven an outstanding race - absolutely outstanding race - but I'm pretty confident that Daniel would have been able to hold off Sebastian over those remaining laps. I'm not superstitious or any of that bullshit, but the auto is cursed".
"Naturally I'm going to keep racing, I love doing what I do and the fans really help".
"I still wasn't convinced as it wasn't the cleanest but putting it on pole, I can relax now because I'm tripping major nutsack right now!"
Red Bull had dominated qualifying to earn its first 1-2 start of the hybrid engine era.
Verstappen cut a markedly less enthusiastic figure after the session.
"We saw what happened a year ago with the red vehicle behind, so I don't know what will happen at the start tomorrow", he added. "If I get a good tow from these guys and there's an opportunity to overtake I'm going to take it".
The Briton hailed his team for turning around his vehicle after a deeply uncompetitive showing during Friday practice.
"I never thought Fernando would be asking me questions", Hamilton said with a smile. "We had the same problems from practice yesterday". It's been a while since I've had a good weekend in general. Vettel will start from fourth and has to win on Sunday to have any chance of taking the title battle on to Brazil. You have to remind yourself to be happy when you got a bit of a pasting like that.
Nico Hulkenberg was sixth for Renault, who had Spaniard Carlos Sainz retire early on, with Charles Leclerc seventh for Sauber.
The Australian worked hard to regain face, closing the gap with the help of DRS to give Hamilton plenty to think about in the first third of the race.
The rest of the closely contested midfield was forced to use the delicate hypersoft tyre, which is forecast to last just a handful of laps at the start of the race and therefore be a strategic disadvantage. Over this period, he has outscored Force India's Sergio Perez by just a single point.
Brendon Hartley had looked strong for the majority of the weekend but then made an error at the stadium section on his final Q2 lap and dropped out in 14th, while Pierre Gasly didn't set a time as he is already consigned to a back of the grid start due to power unit and gearbox penalties.
- Several dead after extreme winds, heavy rain, tornados
- Lion Air Plane Crashes Minutes After Take-Off From Jakarta: Updates
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Stomped the Largest Opening in the Entertainment Industry
- Prince Harry Reveals His Adorable Nickname for the Royal Baby
- Report details how furious Aaron Rodgers was with Ty Montgomery
- Klay Thompson sets National Basketball Association record for threes in one game
- Infamous mob boss James "Whitey" Bulger found dead in prison
- Cricket Australia 'partly to blame' in ball-tampering scandal
- Pittsburgh Rabbi: Massacre an 'Attack on America'
- Elina Svitolina claims WTA Finals title in Singapore