While no one inside the ground was celebrating, Gunners boss Unai Emery could at least spend the rest of his birthday reflecting on a promising performance from his team.
"I believe we were the better side today and that's how we must continue".
"Iwobi can impact hard in the match", Emery told reporters.
Liverpool were a threat, undoubtedly.
Arsenal began the game on top but it was Liverpool that had the ball in the back of the net on 18 minutes.
Arsenal will have counted themselves fortunate to go in level at the interval after Liverpool enjoyed the better of the first half, with Virgil van Dijk hitting the post immediately before half time.
Arsenal didn't let this goal defeat them, as they kept probing.
Naturally, when all is said and done he will not be considered alongside the Steven Gerrard's, the Frank Lampard's and the Paul Scholes' in Premier League history, yet he is not far off being worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as those players. That's OK. Our set-pieces were outstanding and we should have scored from them. "That shows the character of this team".
The suspicion is that it was not just the nature of the crunching challenge, on an accelerating Mohamed Salah, that so invigorated a fist-pumping Emery, but also the identity of the tackler.
On the other side, it's been more than two months since Saints last won a league game (Sept. 1), their only victory in PL play this season.
Alisson Becker spread himself well to block from Lacazette before Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's deflected effort from the edge of the area flew just wide early on.
That also underlines the attacking depth the manager has at his disposal.
Further forward, the talented but frustrating Mesut Ozil and Henrikh Mkhitaryan continue to blow hot and cold, but the two flair players at least now put a shift in for the team and play with a sense of goal.
"Progress is with time".
We wanted to win but the performance is good, we push and we work the match, doing our tactics and with our supporters pushing us with energy.
- Delhi: Residents choke with hazy dust; air quality remains 'very poor'
- Employers in U.S. add 250000 jobs
- Breeders' Cup off and running at Churchill Downs
- CAFOD suggests new Brazil President will 'exacerbate the bloodshed'
- Rafael Nadal withdraws from Paris Masters with abdominal injury
- OnePlus 6T; cheap, fast and well designed?
- USA finalising plan to crack down on asylum seekers
- Merkel Pledges €1bn Fund For Investments In Africa
- Oprah campaigns for Stacey Abrams in Georgia
- Aamir Khan gives Shah Rukh Khan's Zero a big thumbs up