"I'm now 85", Ginsburg said.
Since Supreme Court appointments are for life, it is Ginsburg's right to remain in office as long as she can fulfill her duties. Plus she has survived sitting next to Clarence Thomas for the last 25 years (and now Brett Kavanaugh, too).
"Ginsburg has had a series of health problems", reports AP. "Asking for a Supreme Court justice".
Actress Alyssa Milano, 45, was one of the ones reacting to the news online, writing: 'Ruth Bader Ginsberg can have my ribs. President Donald Trump and new acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker were also present.
This was the third consecutive year in which Ms Ginsburg has authored the first opinion of the session - with Chief Justice John Roberts having previously lauded Ms Ginsburg's speedy delivery of opinions. Fans of Notorious RBG, as she is sometimes known, immediately launched into grief - and action. The hospital determined that "fractured three ribs on her left side".
Ginsberg, 85, was appointed by President Bill Clinton and took the oath of office on August 10, 1993.
Although small in stature, Ginsburg has developed an out-sized reputation as an outspoken justice and the leader of the court's liberal wing.
Ginsburg was the second woman to be named to the nation's highest court.
- Triumph the Insult Comic Dog mocks Ted Cruz on the campaign trail
- Boeing issues operational manual to airlines following Lion Air crash
- Turkey: Saudi investigators worked to remove evidence
- Election Day arrives - but more than 600K Utahns already have voted
- Smart money points to Trump charge
- Lowe's is closing 51 stores in the US, Canada
- Interstellar asteroid could be 'alien' mission searching for life
- ‘Breaking Bad’ Movie Set To Start Production
- Trump Tells April Ryan To 'Sit Down': 'I'm Not Responding' To You
- Are the Toronto Raptors Serious NBA Championship Contenders?