All eyes are on Argentina as the most powerful heads of state descend on Buenos Aires for the G20 summit, and Russian President Vladimir Putin and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad Bin Salman certainly put on a show.
France also imposed sanctions, including travel bans, on 18 Saudi citizens linked to the murder. The two leaders discussed investment in solar energy through the Soft Bank Vision Fund and through the Saudi companies which will build solar energy projects.
However, Number 10's statement said the PM also "reiterated United Kingdom support for Saudi Arabia's security, including the very real threats posed by Iranian interference in Yemen". Mr. Trump told reporters Friday the reason he wasn't meeting with the crown prince in Argentina was that his staff never set it up. Democrats say they plan to investigate the Khashoggi killing and the Trump administration's response when they take control of the House of Representatives in January.
"They exchanged pleasantries at the leaders' session as he did with almost every leader in attendance", the White House official said on Friday.
HOT MIC: French President Macron Caught LECTURING Saudi Prince at G-20
American intelligence officials believe the order for his death came directly from the crown prince, yet U.S. President Donald Trump has suggested he does not believe their assessment.
In a video shared to Twitter via the Saudi Gazette, an irritated Macron is seen grumbling to the Crown Prince: "You never listen to me".
Mr Putin's spokesman Dmitry Peskov reportedly greeted news of the cancellation by saying that while it was regrettable, it left the Russian president with a couple of extra hours to meet other leaders on the sidelines of the summit.
In fact, Trump even cancelled a formal sit-down with Putin over Moscow's seizure of Ukrainian vessels.
The latest embarrassing glitch for the German military forced Merkel to instead take a commercial flight from Madrid to Buenos Aires with a vastly reduced delegation and miss scheduled talks with several world leaders.
The German Chancellor's summit schedule was disrupted after a technical fault meant she had to change planes en route, delaying her arrival.
- River Plate face disqualification from Copa Libertadores final
- Michael Cohen pleads guilty to misleading Congress
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- Netflix cancels Daredevil in mass purging that claimed Luke Cage, Iron Fist
- Ex-Trump campaign chairman Manafort violated plea agreement -- special counsel
- China Halts Gene Editing Program Trying to Create HIV-Immune Twins
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Neymar inspires PSG to leave Liverpool in danger in Champions League
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- Mississippi's ugly past casts long shadow on Senate election