Democratic Senator Mark Warner said: "George H.W. Bush was a class act - a person of tremendous strength and moral character who exemplified the values of public service".
Bush 41 was hospitalized at Houston Methodist Hospital for an infection that spread to his blood.
He had been hospitalised for low blood pressure and fatigue in May, a week after arriving in ME to spend the summer. He was taken there after he met with other military veterans for a pancake breakfast at the American Legion Post 159 in Kennebunkport.
He had to ditch one plane in the Pacific and was shot down on September 2, 1944, while completing a bombing run against a Japanese radio tower.
Reaction to the passing of President George H.W. Bush is coming in from around the world.
"Along with his full life of service to country, we will remember President Bush for his devotion to family - especially the love of his life, Barbara".
The proclamation hails Bush as "one of America's greatest points of light", a reference to one of the former leader's signature phrases about the impact of American civic culture.
Bush lost a chance for a second term after breaking a no-new-taxes pledge.
Bush - who was born on June 12, 1924 in Milton, Massachusetts into a wealthy New England political dynasty - put his inevitable political career on hold to join the US Navy during World War II. After losing a campaign for the Senate in 1970, Bush was appointed to a series of high-level political positions: U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, chairman of the Republican National Committee, Chief of the U.S. Liaison Office in Beijing and Director of the Central Intelligence Agency. In 1988, I cast my first vote for President for him. -Soviet Cold War that had carried the threat of nuclear annihilation.
His presidency soared with the coalition victory over Iraq in Kuwait, but plummeted in the throes of a weak economy that led voters to turn him out of office after a single term.
His popularity declined massively in 1990 after he broke a campaign promise not to raise taxes. Bush was married to Barbara Bush who died on 17 April 2018.
Bush was the last of an unbroken 40-year line of presidents who had served in uniform during World War II, starting with Dwight D. Eisenhower, the former supreme Allied commander.
The Bushes were renowned for having a happy marriage, which was underscored with gentle good humour.
George Bush Sr was visited by former president Barack Obama two days ago, according to the family's spokesman.
- Hyundai Motor Takes the Wraps off Its Large Flagship SUV Palisade
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- UK PM Theresa May Holds Presser After G20 Summit in Argentina
- President Trump Thinks Auto Tariffs Would Have Saved GM's Plants
- Magnitude Earthquake in Alaska Triggers Tsunami Warning
- Hugh Jackman announces debut world tour performing hits from musicals
- Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra arrive in Jodhpur for wedding
- Twitter Reacts To Ariana Grande’s Iconic ‘Thank U, Next’ Video!
- Key Labour figures urge party to prepare for a new Brexit poll
- Macron tells Saudi prince global experts needed in Khashoggi investigation