In a statement issued following his father's death, George W. Bush, the 43rd president of the United States, said "Jeb, Neil, Marvin, Doro, and I are saddened to announce that after 94 remarkable years, our Dad has died".
James Baker, Bush's former secretary of state, said that in each position Bush held, he "led with strength, integrity, compassion and humility - characteristics that define a truly great man and effective leader". "The fond memory of George H.W. Bush will forever remain in my heart and in the hearts of my countrymen". Then he was appointed to a series of high-level positions: Ambassador to the United Nations, Chairman of the Republican National Committee, Chief of the US Liaison Office in the People's Republic of China, and Director of the Central Intelligence Agency. They also credited the former president, who was the USA 41st president and served from 1989 to 1993, with "expanding America's promise to new immigrants and people with disabilities". As President Ronald Reagan's vice president, he faced criticism for the administration's inaction during the height of the epidemic, and for not doing more to fight the crisis during his own presidency.
Bush came to know war firsthand, leaving school at 18 to become the Navy's youngest pilot in World War Two. There's a mock situation room where you can make critical decisions, as President Bush did before the Gulf War in the early 90's.
Bush famously vowed: "This will not stand, this aggression against Kuwait".
He organised a global coalition to push Saddam Hussein's Iraqi forces out of Kuwait and presided over the end of the decades-long Cold War with the Soviet Union. Consider that a Bush was on the ballot in every presidential election but one from 1980 to 2004. In 1992 he lost his bid for reelection to Democrat William Clinton.
The 41st President and his presidency were shaped by the upheavals of the 20th century.
He also worked with ex-presidents Clinton, Jimmy Carter, Barack Obama and son George to raise money for hurricane victims in Texas in 2017. The Bushes were only the second father and son to serve as United States presidents.
The other battles he fought as president, including a war on drugs and a crusade to make American children the best educated in the world, were not so decisively won.
- First Premier League Start For Obafemi Against Surprising Man United Team
- Protesters angry about rising taxes clash with police in Paris, 81 arrested
- Moving photo of President Bush's dog paying tribute
- NYPD tracks down couple who lost ring down grate during engagement
- Ballon d'Or host asks first female victor Ada Hegerberg to 'twerk'
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- UK PM Theresa May Holds Presser After G20 Summit in Argentina
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- Genetically Engineered Baby Claim Met with Investigations and Doubt