The Croatian won the Ballon d'Or on Monday night after a stellar 2018 which saw him win the Champions League and help his nation to the World Cup final. The creative central midfielder was voted player of the tournament in Russian Federation.
Ronaldo came second in the polling, missing out on a record sixth award, followed by France forward Antoine Griezmann.
Kaka was the last player other than Messi or Ronaldo to win the Ballon d'Or, the Brazilian claiming the title in 2007 while starring for AC Milan.
He is the first Croatian to win the Ballon d'Or since it was initiated as a European award in 1956. But people have done similar things before and yet fallen to the might of Messi and Ronaldo - Wesley Sneijder in 2009-10 won the treble and finished runners-up in the 2010 FIFA World Cup. "It's a huge step for women's football", Hegerberg said.
The DJ was the subject of criticism on social media following his exchange Hegerberg and quickly apologised for his comments with a video posted on Twitter.
The 26-year-old forward finished third in the annual Federation Internationale de Football Association award behind the victor Modric and Ronaldo who came in the second place.
"It is hard to express my emotion and how I feel in words".
Croatia lost 4-2 to France in Moscow in the final in July.
The 33-year-old was instrumental as Real clinched a third successive Champions League trophy last season. "So even if I don't win, we will", Kerr posted on Instagram before the awards ceremony.
He will get a chance to add to that total when the 2018 Ballon d'Or victor is announced later tonight. I didn't really think about it at the time to be honest.
"Sometimes you have to take tough decisions to stay true to yourself".
- Deontay Wilder's Reaction To Tyson Fury Surviving His Knockdown Is Priceless
- "Bro Handshake" Between Saudi Prince And Putin Has Twitter Buzzing
- Argentina judge acts on complaint against Saudi prince
- President Trump Thinks Auto Tariffs Would Have Saved GM's Plants
- AWS Outposts brings AWS hardware on-prem
- Lunar Landers Selected by NASA for Payload Delivery to the Moon
- George Bush Sr dies aged 94
- Ballon d'Or host asks first female victor Ada Hegerberg to 'twerk'
- KC Star Kareem Hunt Caught on Camera Assaulting Woman In TMZ Video
- Liverpool boss Klopp on January action: That's b******t and you know it!