"But I don't believe in going backwards". And I believe in @KevinHart4real.
DeGeneres filmed an hour-long interview with the comedian in a bid to persuade her viewers-and Hart himself-that he should reverse his decision to quit the Oscars.
"That's an attempt to end me", he said.
Hart's non-apology tour could be a signal that the Academy is planning on offering the hosting gig to him again.
"We want him to host, whatever we can do, we'd be thrilled", DeGeneres said the Academy told her in a phone call. Whatever we can do. "I don't care how many sitcoms you lost in the 90's". Whatever is going on on the internet, don't pay attention to them.
DeGeneress told Hart he should take the job, to prevent his critics from winning. The Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle star claimed he had already apologized for the tweets and chose to walk away from the Oscar gig.
"Has Kevin Hart made any meaningful effort to reach out to the LGTBQ community and listen to their perspective on why his past comments are so offensive and damaging?"
To this day the ceremony is without a host with less than two months to the February 24 air date. You'll recall that soon after Hart was announced as the Oscars host, the comedian's well-chronicled past homophobic jokes resurfaced. This wasn't a coincidence. If fellow former Oscars host Ellen DeGeneres gets her way, then the answer is no - and many find that upsetting. To go through 40,000 tweets to get back to 2008 - that's an attack. Hart, who says he felt frustrated because he already apologized in the past, instead made a decision to step down, only to offer a fresh apology hours later.
"I'm sorry that I hurt people".
"One's the president, the other's a comedian", tweeted one such commenter.
"There is no ideal bone in my body. I don't want to hear a hostile retelling of how we didn't hear your meager apology the first time".
"I had to address it when I did Get Hard promo with Will Ferrell, because of my joke that I had about my son".
Hart went on to say he's "tired of the conversation" over his tweets because he's not the same man he was when he tweeted the homophobic comments.
"I think she's speaking for herself, right? So why set yourself up for failure?"
Now DeGeneres is facing some backlash of her own for standing by Hart.
"They're gonna win if you don't host the Oscars", DeGeneres said.
"You have grown, you have apologized", DeGeneres said.
DeGeneres admitted that she called and spoke to them on Thursday.
- SCG inspection to decide Australia side - Paine
- Sister Megan Markle were in the "black list" of London police
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West expecting fourth child via surrogate
- Federer triumphs over Serena in 'super cool' Hopman Cup encounter
- Three injured in incident at Manchester rail station
- Australia a 'soap opera' and 'I feel like a director' - Langer
- New Horizons Nasa probe completes flyby of ancient world of Ultima Thule
- Sarri happy after 'difficult' Crystal Palace win
- Man City end Liverpool's unbeaten run to breathe life into title race
- US National Parks Are a Mess Due to the Government Shutdown