Representatives for R. Kelly, born Robert Sylvester Kelly, responded "no comment" to PEOPLE's request for a response to the allegations made in Surviving R. Kelly and interviews with alleged victims in this week's issue of PEOPLE, on stands now.
In the infamous "pee tape" of 2002 Kelly engaged in sex acts with and urinating on a 14-year-old girl. CNN reported in 2008 that lawyers for Kelly at the time said he was not in the video.
The series continues tonight, and the final two episodes will air on Saturday.
"If you remember The Best of Both Worlds, you don't see my name on that.I never wanted no part of that", he begins.
"Kelly" premiered Thursday on Lifetime as a three-night, six-hour event, and has been making front-page news since.
In a new documentary called "Surviving R Kelly", one of his backing dancers called Jovante Cunningham claimed she witnessed R Kelly and Aaliyah doing "things that an adult should not be doing with a child".
Now, the Try Again singer's mother is slamming the allegations as "lies and fabrications".
"To everyone telling me how courageous I am for appearing in the doc, it didn't feel risky at all", he said in a tweet.
Most of the praise for the documentary is rooted in the idea that the music community knew about the 51-year-old's alleged behavior and continued to cover up for him. These survivors deserved to be lifted up and heard.
Conversations surely sparked all over social media, and expectantly motivated some long-awaited reckoning with Kelly's supposed actions and what it meant to still support him over the years.
"But I didn't know that a bomb was coming", Sparkle said.
Color of Change, an online racial justice organization, released a statement in response to the series calling for Kelly to face consequences.
The Twittersphere is up in arms about the documentary and refusing to let R. Kelly get away with the heinous crimes he committed against young Black girls.
- Chinese probe successfully lands on far side of moon, sends back images
- First close-ups of Ultima Thule reveal it resembles snowman
- Houston, TX: Police Seek Killer of 7-Year-Old African-American Girl
- Don't 'end up in hospital' over Bird Box Challenge, Netflix says
- IPhone XS Max catches fire in man's pocket
- Federer triumphs over Serena in 'super cool' Hopman Cup encounter
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West expecting fourth child via surrogate
- United Kingdom can ‘turn a corner’ in 2019, says PM
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirms Manchester United have January transfer window plans
- Saudi demands death sentence against 5 suspects in Khashoggi case