So, how will the assets be split?
Neither the Bezoses nor Amazon have commented on the likely division of the couple's assets, including a 16 percent stake in the company.
The billionaire would most likely need to sell some of those shares in Amazon to pay for the settlement, which would see his control of the company reduced. So, the news of his costly divorce sparked a slew of hilarious comebacks from Twitter users, who speculated over how the separation will impact the tycoon's fortune.
Amazon shares were mostly unchanged at market close Wednesday after briefly dipping on the announcement in early trading.
Similarly, any custody issues have been likely settled, too, as the two mention "wonderful futures ahead as parents" in the statement. Jeff Bezos also bought a mansion in a swanky Washington D.C. neighbourhood past year for $23 million.
Even with a $69 billion fortune, the Amazon founder would still be ranked fifth, according to the Bloomberg Billionaire Index. They own five homes: in Washington; Beverly Hills; Texas; Washington, D.C.; and New York City.
Terms of the divorce are not known and it's unclear if there was a prenuptial agreement in place at the time of marriage.
MacKenzie, a Princeton graduate who is now a novelist, did accounting for Amazon for its first year after it was founded in 1994.
Though Jeff and MacKenzie are divorcing, they assured everyone they remain on good terms and have no bad blood between them.
"My guess is they've probably have already worked up some sort of framework, and that's why they're announcing it now", Payseno said of the Bezoses.
- Fox News host Shep Smith wasted no time fact-checking Trump's address
- Jamie Lee Curtis criticises 'Fiji Water Girl' for Golden Globes PR stunt
- Joe Flacco of Baltimore Ravens prepares for postseason run as backup quarterback
- Kevin Hart Won't Host The Oscars And Says He Won't Apologize Again
- DR Congo election: Officials delay result of presidential vote
- Kim Jong-un makes birthday visit to China
- Fernandinho: The pressure is on Liverpool
- Flights at Heathrow suspended after drone sighting
- Trump Threw 'Temper Tantrum' After Dems Refused Border Wall, Chuck Schumer Says
- Ravens fans boo Lamar Jackson, chant for Joe Flacco