Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Vic Fangio looks on during team warm-ups prior to game action in a preseason National Football League game between the Kansas City Chiefs and the Chicago Bears on August 25, 2018 at Soldier Field in Chicago IL. It's something different. Even though he's first time head coach. With the Bears since 2015, Fangio also held the same role with San Francisco 49ers, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts and Carolina Panthers. The Bears allowed a league-low 17.7 points per game and 299.7 yards per game, the third-fewest in the league, this past season.
The Dolphins also planned to interview Fangio as well, but never scheduled a meeting. I look for greatness on that side. That's a big part of it in today's world. "Those are two things that I look for".
Fangio certainly hopes so because he's waited decades to be a head coach and show he can be exactly that guy. They accomplished that in the overall with Matt Nagy more than doubling the year-before win total of Fox and now face the daunting challenge of maintaining and bettering the performance of a unit that under Fangio went from top 10 in 2017 to top five in 2018. Elway refuses to use the word "rebuilding", but the team has multiple issues to address. But the Broncos have had too much change in recent years, too many new offenses, too much turnover at the coordinator spots and too much uncertainty at quarterback for a franchise that had prided itself on churning out wins for so long.
With Fangio in the fold, Gary Kubiak could serve as his offensive coordinator or as an assistant coach. He's spent the last four seasons as a position coach with the Steelers. The interim head coach, Gregg Williams, meanwhile, lost out on both the top job and his defensive coordinator job, being fired Wednesday, according to ESPN. But CEO Jed York instead went with Tomsula, who was sacked after one season with a 5-11 record. Kubiak brought the Broncos a Super Bowl 50 title. But whether it can result in the equal of what the Bears built under Fangio and John Fox is anything but a given.
- 'Bohemian Rhapsody's' big Golden Globes wins divides movie fans
- Trump Threw 'Temper Tantrum' After Dems Refused Border Wall, Chuck Schumer Says
- Arsenal linked with Juventus defender as part of Ramsey deal
- HTC announces Vive Pro Eye, Vive Cosmos
- China-U.S. trade talks restart as warship clouds negotiations
- Captain Marvel TV Trailer Unleashes Exciting New Photon Blasting Footage
- Man City and Burton are chalk and cheese, says Brewers chairman
- Ravens fans boo Lamar Jackson, chant for Joe Flacco
- DR Congo election: Officials delay result of presidential vote
- Daughter of Brandon Mebane of Los Angeles Chargers dies after seven weeks