Smollett was attacked at around 2 a.m. Tuesday in the city's Streeterville neighborhood when he said two people began yelling racial and homophobic slurs at him.
Chicago police are now investigating the alleged attack as a possible hate crime. She said she could not be more specific.
"We haven't seen anybody, at this point, matching the description he gave".
In a statement to Fox News, 20th Century Fox Television and Fox Entertainment said: "We are deeply saddened and outraged to learn that a member of our EMPIRE family, Jussie Smollett, was viciously attacked last night". Smollett was still wearing the rope some 40 minutes after the attack when police first contacted the actor. The FBI did not immediately return a call seeking comment Wednesday.
Black Panther stars Michael B. Jordan and Chadwick Boseman took to Instagram to indicate their support for the Empire actor.
Smollett told Ellen DeGeneres on her show in 2015 that "there is without a doubt, no closet that I've ever been in, and I just wanted to make that clear".
Meanwhile production on Empire temporarily shut down on Wednesday due to extreme weather conditions.
According to reports, the horrific attack went down Tuesday. Smollett has been active in LBGTQ issues and he released his debut album, "Sum of My Music", past year.
A number of social media users pointed to the attack on Smollett as an example of why Hart's past controversial jokes and statements were so hurtful to the LGBTQ community.
White House hopeful and California Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), who is running for president, wrote on Twitter that Smollett "is one of the kindest, most gentle human beings I know".
"When detectives followed up later in the day, he recalled the attackers making those remarks", Tannehill said. I pray that Jussie has a speedy recovery & that justice is served. "No one should have to fear for their life because of their sexuality or color of their skin".
"We ALL have a responsibility to rise up against the ignorance and hate out there", Shonda Rhimes tweeted. Further proving that the attack was racially motivated, they reportedly yelled, "This is MAGA country", during the attack.
Chicago has one of the most sophisticated and extensive video surveillance systems in the US, with thousands of cameras on street poles, skyscrapers, buses and in train tunnels. "And no racist f-- can come in and do the things that they did to you", he said.
The 35-year-old actor and singer was reportedly called racial and homophobic slurs.
- Former Trump's Advisor to cooperate in Mueller's investigation
- State of emergency declared in Washington state amid measles outbreak
- Apple FaceTime Bug Allows Callers to Hear and See Before People Answer
- Snow 'likely' in North Devon this week says Met Office
- Yellow weather warning for snow and ice in Wrexham extended until Friday
- Markets Right Now: Stocks sink on China slowdown fears
- Angry Sarri repeats claim he can not motivate Chelsea players
- Sen. Kamala Harris town hall with CNN’s Jake Tapper
- Djokovic eyes Federers Grand Slam record | newkerala.com #94856
- Current Plans For RAW Women’s Title Match At WrestleMania