Irving has excelled for the Celtics during his 18-month stint with the team, and so far this season, the 26-year-old is averaging 23.7 points, 6.9 assists and 4.8 rebounds per game. This frees up the point guard position following the 2018-19 campaign.
Malik Monk scored 16 points, Nicolas Batum added 13 and Marvin Williams 10 in Charlotte's third loss in five games.
The Hornets played without Frenchman Tony Parker who sat out with a right ankle problem. Rookie two-way G Joe Chealey was active for the first time in his National Basketball Association career. He's now in his second season with the Celtics and learning just how hard it is to lead a team to a championship. "Hopefully he'll be available Friday (against the Knicks)".
But their hands are tied until the trade deadline as they can not have two players on designated contracts and at the moment Kyrie Irving is on one.
In a unusual turn of events, the Celtics have had a monkey wrench thrown into the pursuit of New Orleans stud Anthony Davis. "I'm not a free agent. I'm gonna get you the ball, but we go as I go.' And that looks like he wants to have his own team", Broussard said Thursday on "The Herd".
"If you guys will have me back, I plan on re-signing here", Irving told the crowd TD Garden.
While virtually every franchise in the National Basketball Association would love to add the five-time All-Star to their roster, the Lakers and the Celtics are considered the favorite to land the 25-year-old. This came as a blow to Celtics fans, as they had already witnessed the gruesome season-ending injury to Gordon Hayward in the first game of the season, where he dislocated his ankle and fractured his tibia.
- Democrats fear Trump re-election if ex-Starbucks CEO Schultz runs
- State of emergency declared in Washington state amid measles outbreak
- USA gives control over bank accounts to Venezuela challenger
- Trump Calls Venezuela’s New President, Encourages People to Protest Against Maduro
- At least 12 dead as Arctic freeze spreads into US Northeast
- 'Go back to school': Trump lashes out at USA intelligence chiefs
- Snow 'likely' in North Devon this week says Met Office
- United States warns of 'serious consequences' after Venezuela moves against Guaido
- MPs reject bid to delay Brexit by extending Article 50
- Pelosi Would be 'BEGGING' for the Wall If Not for Tijuana Barrier